Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Questions about standby

Some questions regarding the prs-t1 (for the experts only!):

1) Is there a way to modify the prs-t1 to use an image of the current screen as the standby screen?

2) Is there a way to modify the prs-t1 to increase the timeout for standby?

3) Is there a way to modify the prs-t1 to disable standby?

To be crystal clear, for those users who are picky with wording, is there a way to modify the prs-t1's software (not hardware, I'm not interested in taking it apart), but not Sony's proprietary programs (no need for reverse engineering), on a rooted device, without recourse to the occult arts or supernatural intervention, to accomplish this?

Last edited by darseno; 04-18-2012 at 03:42 PM.
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
Some questions for the experts:

1) Is there a way to use an image of the current screen as the standby screen?

2) Is there a way to increase the timeout for standby?

3) Is there a way to disable standby?
1. No

2. No

3. No
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1. No

2. No

3. No
I personally know of a way to disable standby (number 3), so your answer is incorrect at least in this respect, which causes me doubt your competence to answer these questions. Maybe you should have answered "I don't know," or not have replied at all.

Last edited by darseno; 04-18-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
I personally know of a way to disable standby (number 3), so your answer is incorrect at least in this respect, which causes me doubt your competence to answer these questions. Maybe you should have answered "I don't know," or not have replied at all.
if you know the answer to the question seems a waste of time asking for answers
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:

Sorry but you're incorrect and nasty to boot! Without a hack or modifiying the reader in some way the answers to all three questions are no. I daresay that most people don't hack or mod their readers. A lot on MR forums seem to but in general most people do not.

If you seem to possess knowledge to the contrary kindly share with us all or did you just post to insult someone so you could feel superior?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
if you know the answer to the question seems a waste of time asking for answers
I know an answer, not necessarily the best answer.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Sorry but you're incorrect and nasty to boot! Without a hack or modifiying the reader in some way the answers to all three questions are no. I daresay that most people don't hack or mod their readers. A lot on MR forums seem to but in general most people do not.

If you seem to possess knowledge to the contrary kindly share with us all or did you just post to insult someone so you could feel superior?
I didn't mention "without a hack or modifying the reader" in my question. For a stock reader, any idiot can read the user manual to find the answers. I think it's pretty obvious that adding this functionality will require rooting.

Yes, I posted just to insult someone and feel superior. I do that every third Wednesday of the month.

Last edited by darseno; 04-18-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I didn't mention "without a hack or modifying the reader" in my question. For a stock reader, any idiot can read the user manual to find the answers. I think it's pretty obvious that adding this functionality will require rooting.

Yes, I posted just to insult someone and feel superior. I do that every third Wednesday of the month.
...apparently....

Life must be awful for you when you can get so angry about the simplest thing.

People around here are very happy & willing to help. Even with questions that "any idiot can read the user manual to find the answers". Try being nice and you might find more people willing to help.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Apes who wear fedoras tend not to be as surly as the sort you find in tuxes.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-11-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
People around here are very happy & willing to help. Even with questions that "any idiot can read the user manual to find the answers". Try being nice and you might find more people willing to help.
Quite right. I should have posted in the Development thread. My apologies.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you had mentioned is there any way to modify the reader to change the standby settings, then you may have gotten the answers you are looking for. But as it stands, you did get the correct answer for the questions you've asked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
darseno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you had mentioned is there any way to modify the reader to change the standby settings, then you may have gotten the answers you are looking for. But as it stands, you did get the correct answer for the questions you've asked.
Thanks for your input.