Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
Generic Car Chargers

I want to confirm my understanding of options related to charging the Nook Tablet. It is my understanding that this most important piece of the puzzle is the cord- as this determines the voltage and amperage supplied to the Tablet (assuming the source is sufficient). So as long as I'm using the Nook Tablet charging cable, I should be able to use a non-B&N car charger that puts out something in the neighborhood of ~1.9 amps at 5 DCV.

I see a number of these specifically marketed for charging tablets that put out that much amperage as opposed to the generic USB chargers that seem to top out around 1 amp. I should be able to plug a USB adapter into the power source in the car then connect the Tablet's charging cable.

Do I have this correct? I'd like to pick up a USB adapter for the car but hate to spend $25 on the B&N kit.
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseFam5 View Post
I want to confirm my understanding of options related to charging the Nook Tablet. It is my understanding that this most important piece of the puzzle is the cord- as this determines the voltage and amperage supplied to the Tablet (assuming the source is sufficient). So as long as I'm using the Nook Tablet charging cable, I should be able to use a non-B&N car charger that puts out something in the neighborhood of ~1.9 amps at 5 DCV.

I see a number of these specifically marketed for charging tablets that put out that much amperage as opposed to the generic USB chargers that seem to top out around 1 amp. I should be able to plug a USB adapter into the power source in the car then connect the Tablet's charging cable.

Do I have this correct? I'd like to pick up a USB adapter for the car but hate to spend $25 on the B&N kit.
The NT charger and charger cable have 2 extra wires to supply twice as much power to the NT as a regular USB charger/cable. The cable also has some electronics that puts the NT in power charging mode.

You can use any regular USB charger to charge the NT, but it will not power charge. So it will take about 7 hours instead of 3.5 to fully charge.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Sorry to be dense here- so does that mean I should be able to use a generic USB adapter that puts out ~2 amps with the B&N cable and get equivalent charging as the B&N adapter? Or is it the combo of B&N adapter and B&N cable that does the trick.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseFam5 View Post
Sorry to be dense here- so does that mean I should be able to use a generic USB adapter that puts out ~2 amps with the B&N cable and get equivalent charging as the B&N adapter? Or is it the combo of B&N adapter and B&N cable that does the trick.
It is the combo that does the trick. A regular charger does not supply power on the two extra wires (because those are not part of the official USB specification).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
MooseFam5
Enthusiast

Thanks- that was exactly the information that I was looking for!
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know of another source to get the cables with the extra wires? I've read lots of complaints about the quality of the B&N cables and I'd rather pay $5 than $15.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote