Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 05-27-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
HOT: Sony to stop development of Clie PDAs?

Very dark times might be approaching us soon.

According to various German news sources, Sony is going to leave the handheld market. Instead the company would strengthen its business on Notebooks and PCs, it is said.

The first time I heard about these speculations was a few weeks ago in a Brighthand article.

Considering that Clie sales per unit decreased by a massive 38.8% in the first quarter this year (Q1 2004 - 230,666, Q1 2003- 376,909, estimates by Gartner), it is plausible that Sony might try to change its strategy and find other, more lucrative markets.

I am not sure what, if this rumor turns out true, it would mean to the PalmOS handheld world. Could Palm even stand a tiny little chance against big and evil PPC without a strong licensee-partner like Sony?

Supposedly, Sony will come out with an official press release next week.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:50 AM   #2
gyffes
Enthusiast
gyffes is on a distinguished road

Device: eMate!!! oh, and an NX-60
I'm disappointed but only moderately surprised. Sony's designs and quality have been great but they put out a pricey product (I'm an NX60 and NX80 owner) that many find over-large. The UX50 suffers from wonderful concept with a too-small screen and poor recharging/hotsync design. Then their more recent offerings abandoned the clamshell entirely, which seems to indicate a big step backwards in design but a nod towards the cheaper-is-better reality of Palm's successes (Zire, anyone?). Finally, they've made no announcements about moving to OS6.

Drat. I was really hoping for a Psion-like Sony to come out.. PalmOS with a useful keyboard and largest screen. And dump the camera, for cryin' out loud!

*sigh*
Advert
Old 05-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Another french article mentioning the possibility that Sony might abandon its future Clie production.