Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Evil geographic restrictions!

Hi all,
I have started a new series by a British author. I have the first 2 books. Thayer are the historical fiction books based on robin hood by angus Donald. Anyways, I was going to amazon and figured I buy the third book as I saw it there a few months ago when I bought the other books. Well the third one now says I can't purchase it due to my location (US). I even went to the amazon.uk and couldn't buy it. This is so frustrating, now I know the pain that those outside the US deal with. I emailed the author and his publisher to see why the book was revoked and when it will be back. Wish I knew how to get around the restrictions as I crack drm off all my books anyways. Such a headache. I think I saw on his blog that the paper book is being released later this year, so I am hoping the same will happen with the kindle version. And publishers wonder why people resort to torrents and such! I won't do that as I would like to pay the author for his efforts but jeez I feel like they want me to go through hoops. If anyone knows how to bypass geo restrictions in reverse aka getting books outside the us, I'd be willing to try it. It's a shame though as I have over a hundred dollars in gift cards to use at amazon. Grr.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If they block you from purchasing the book then it should not be your concern whether to reward the author or not. It is the responsibility of those restricting you. From that point on it's up to you to either be smart and "get" the book or just give up your rights and beg them to take your money and until that day comes just submit yourself to them and well, your loss.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Unfortunately the book isn't available "alternatively" I looked out of curiosity lol.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What series is that? I love books about that subject...

Ah, found it. Outlaw, Holy Warrior and King's Man. BoB also only has the first 2 books...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 01-26-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
He changed publishers with the 3rd book. Macmillan to Little Brown UK (Hachette).

His 4th book in the series is due out July 2012.

Edit: Just noticed the first two books are reprints. So he may have signed a new contract.

Last edited by Fbone; 01-26-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In this case, there probably will be an ebook in the US when hardback comes out. Amazon US has the UK paper version available from 3rd parties, and you can probably buy it directly from Amazon UK and have it shipped to the US. As has been discussed repeatedly here, this isn't allowed for the ebook.

Series by UK authors is one reason I have a UK Kobo account. For example The Order of the Scales by Stephen Deas is the 3rd in a series and I bought the ebook back in May from WHSmith (I now go directly to Kobo). It comes out in the US next month. I do this using an Entropay virtual credit card, but it is a hassle to get from the US and they charge a fee up front. Others have had success using gift cards. For the saga of what happened last time I mentioned this, see Top Ten Books Missing as eBooks and continue reading for what happened next.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl351 View Post
Hi all,
I have started a new series by a British author. I have the first 2 books. Thayer are the historical fiction books based on robin hood by angus Donald. Anyways, I was going to amazon and figured I buy the third book as I saw it there a few months ago when I bought the other books. Well the third one now says I can't purchase it due to my location (US). I even went to the amazon.uk and couldn't buy it. This is so frustrating, now I know the pain that those outside the US deal with. I emailed the author and his publisher to see why the book was revoked and when it will be back. Wish I knew how to get around the restrictions as I crack drm off all my books anyways. Such a headache. I think I saw on his blog that the paper book is being released later this year, so I am hoping the same will happen with the kindle version. And publishers wonder why people resort to torrents and such! I won't do that as I would like to pay the author for his efforts but jeez I feel like they want me to go through hoops. If anyone knows how to bypass geo restrictions in reverse aka getting books outside the us, I'd be willing to try it. It's a shame though as I have over a hundred dollars in gift cards to use at amazon. Grr.
If it is a kindle book, add yourself a UK address. Maybe in Nottingham. ;-)

Change country in Manage your Kindle. Buy book. Change back to USA.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I've had to resort to buying used copies of a 4 book series recently, for exactly the same reason - have to say it was a nice change to read a real book for a decent stretch.

( Sits back and waits for brickbats........ )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
If it is a kindle book, add yourself a UK address. Maybe in Nottingham. ;-)

Change country in Manage your Kindle. Buy book. Change back to USA.
Doesn't work if you are using a US Credit Card.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I believe that someday there will be international publishing houses excluding only countries that wish to control what's published at a national level. It has to be a pain for authors to have to do contracts country by country and it's definitely a pain to readers. I'm old so I don't think it will be in my lifetime, though.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'd find a buddy in the UK (maybe off this list, I'd volunteer but I'm not in the UK) to buy the book for you, remove DRM and send it to you with reimbursement, deleting any remaining copy. They might be in a similar situation with another book only available in the US.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
On the top left ârt of the screen is a little link :
Quote:
Your Country or Region (What's this?)
United States
When clicking on the "What's this", you get

Quote:
Certain Kindle Titles are not available everywhere. Kindle Titles that are available in your country or region will be displayed.

If the country or region displayed is incorrect, you may change it at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle.
So ...
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It has to be a pain for authors to have to do contracts country by country
In most cases, to sign regional contract is the choice of the author; they can make more money that way. Most books only ever make the author their advance, and by signing with separate UK and US contract, for example, there are two advances.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Weird, because it works with a Dutch CC and an American address..
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
You mean you just tried it?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote