Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Possible iLiad buyer...got a question....

I have been lurking for a while and have read alot in the past 5-6 weeks.

I am sold on every part of the iLiad BUT I am very concerned with something.

Being the father of 4 children under the age of 10, I am concerned with the durability of the screen.

In the forums there are several complaints about the screen being very weak or breaking very easily.

Now my kids are not animals They have never broken any of my PDA, cell phone, or laptop screens, but from what I am reading, it seems that the eink screens are a lot more fragile then that.

Am I reading into something more then I should?

Is it just the iLiad device and not the others that have this issue?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The iLiads screen is definately more fragile that a PDAs or cell phones. And it is more fragile than a laptops, since you position it differently. Or when have you last placed something on you laptop screen by accident?

It has a glass based layer inside, so caution is advised. But its not THAT easily broken. I assume most breakages were due to unlucky circumstances or mishandling. You tend to handle the iLiad like a book, since you can read on it like one.

So basically, its not a childs toy. If you drop it, it will break. If you trap the screen between your cellphone and your hand while carrying both around, you risk breaking the screen. But even my 9 year old niece can handle the iLiad properly, once told, what to take care of.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
That sounds fair. I understand the laptop analogy....but you are also talking to someone who has 3 tablets

So my kids are used to seeing a folding screen (ie. flat)

Another question I have is about .cbr support.

I love to read comic books from my age (70's and 80's) that people have made into cbr and pdf's. I know that pdf's are supports...what about cbr files?

Thanks AGAIN!

OH BTW I am sort of a tinker....has anyone thought of adapting a cover screen by slicing the cover of another case and sliding in a thin piece of sheet metal or hard plastic to protect the cover while storing?

Last edited by DeathtoToasters; 11-25-2007 at 05:16 PM.
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 AM   #4
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The iliad comes with a bag that has what feels like a stiff plastic sheet sewn into it and that provides some protection. I also bought the folio cover and it also has a reinforced cover.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote