Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Maindee
Maindee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie queries

Hi
I am new to the Kindle and calibre and have 2 queries which someone may be able to help me with.

I can transfer titles to from Calibre to my Kindle, but where I have several titles under the author I have then to create a folder in Kindle for each author and transfer the relevant titles to that particular folder.
"Can I transfer the author and titles in one step with Calibre?"

I have also set up for Kindle to receive a daily newspaper via calibre. But to do this I seem to have to physically connect the kindle to my computer even though both have wi-fi.
"Can I download the newspaper directly to the Kindle via wi-fi".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Maindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maindee View Post
Hi
I am new to the Kindle and calibre and have 2 queries which someone may be able to help me with.

I can transfer titles to from Calibre to my Kindle, but where I have several titles under the author I have then to create a folder in Kindle for each author and transfer the relevant titles to that particular folder.
"Can I transfer the author and titles in one step with Calibre?"

I have also set up for Kindle to receive a daily newspaper via calibre. But to do this I seem to have to physically connect the kindle to my computer even though both have wi-fi.
"Can I download the newspaper directly to the Kindle via wi-fi".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Calibre pushes news over the USB connection.
Kindle WiFi Pulls content over WiFi.

If your computer can not see your devices (any brand) drives, it can't push content.

Now you could set Calibre to mail your news to your Kindle account for delivery.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Maindee

Thanks Theducks, I will try the email to Kindle account route.

Any thoughts on whether I can transfer "author and his (her) titles" in one author directory from Calibre to Kindle?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Theducks, I will try the email to Kindle account route.

Any thoughts on whether I can transfer "author and his (her) titles" in one author directory from Calibre to Kindle?
tn the Tag browser: click he Author (or any other entry of choice) to make a Plus appear;
Then select all the books that show (ctrl-A): Right click On a book in the group): Connect share: (pick your poison

This assumes that you have already configured and tested the Connect-Share preference
Old 01-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Maindee

Thanks again Theducks. I have followed your suggestion and it works, to a point. I get the books onto my Kindle but they appear as separate items with the authors name. I will still have to create a separate folder for the author and then put each book into that folder. I was hoping to be able to do this in one step directly from Calibre. Perhaps I am still doing something wrong.
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks again Theducks. I have followed your suggestion and it works, to a point. I get the books onto my Kindle but they appear as separate items with the authors name. I will still have to create a separate folder for the author and then put each book into that folder. I was hoping to be able to do this in one step directly from Calibre. Perhaps I am still doing something wrong.
On the Kindle, the magic word is: Collections
all the books can be in the same folder. Collections (by Author) can group them. Look at the Kindle collections Plugin for more....
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
I really am new to this, so let me apologize upfront for my inability to use Calibre. I have downloaded about 100 books to ADE on my computer. How do I get these books into Calibre? I can't even find them in a file. I get them by clicking on ADE. This is just the beginning of my difficulties. I have many books on my kindle app on my iPad, more in iBooks and the rest on my Nook touch. I was hoping to bring them all to Calibre, but wanted to start with the books in my ADE. I am daunted by this task. I knew that I would be imposing on you in December, so I made a donation through Paypal. I hope Calibre got it. Even if you are unable to help me, due to the enormity of my problem, your product is so worth it.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
I really am new to this, so let me apologize upfront for my inability to use Calibre. I have downloaded about 100 books to ADE on my computer. How do I get these books into Calibre? I can't even find them in a file. I get them by clicking on ADE. This is just the beginning of my difficulties. I have many books on my kindle app on my iPad, more in iBooks and the rest on my Nook touch. I was hoping to bring them all to Calibre, but wanted to start with the books in my ADE. I am daunted by this task. I knew that I would be imposing on you in December, so I made a donation through Paypal. I hope Calibre got it. Even if you are unable to help me, due to the enormity of my problem, your product is so worth it.
on my computer, the ADE books are in the "My Digital Editions" folder in "My Documents"
Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
on my computer, the ADE books are in the "My Digital Editions" folder in "My Documents"
OK, I never claimed to be more than a newbie,but I do feel foolish. This is a start. Traveling today so I will try Calibre again tonight. Thank you for responding, even though you probably had to grit your teeth.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
OK, I never claimed to be more than a newbie,but I do feel foolish. This is a start. Traveling today so I will try Calibre again tonight. Thank you for responding, even though you probably had to grit your teeth.
It's okay, Venus. The only foolish questions are the ones that go unasked. We all had to go through this in the beginning, and finding out where various apps store things is part of it. Did you get all your ADE books taken care of?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Venus
Country girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It's okay, Venus. The only foolish questions are the ones that go unasked. We all had to go through this in the beginning, and finding out where various apps store things is part of it. Did you get all your ADE books taken care of?
No....I downloaded over 100 books to ADE. I then transferred them to my Nook touch. I was hoping that my insatiable desire to learn Calibre would be greater than my horror at seeming so inept, but I have so many books everywhere that I truly don't know where to begin. I so want to thank you. You made me smile.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No....I downloaded over 100 books to ADE. I then transferred them to my Nook touch. I was hoping that my insatiable desire to learn Calibre would be greater than my horror at seeming so inept, but I have so many books everywhere that I truly don't know where to begin. I so want to thank you. You made me smile.
You're very welcome!

Repeat after me:

Venus is a goddess. Goddesses are not inept.

There. Now, getting started with calibre can be complicated, but it is manageable. I have a Kindle, not a Nook, but I do use calibre and ADE, and Kindle for PC, and everything else you can use to get an ebook on a computer. I feel your pain, and I know you can do this. We will help you. I will help you. If you would feel better not posting your questions on the forum, you can click on my user name on the left on this post, and send me a message.

Edited to add: If you want to continue here rather than via private message, just let me know and I'll start posting instructions and asking you questions to get you up and running.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Venus
Country girl

Quote:
You're very welcome!

Repeat after me:

Venus is a goddess. Goddesses are not inept.

There. Now, getting started with calibre can be complicated, but it is manageable. I have a Kindle, not a Nook, but I do use calibre and ADE, and Kindle for PC, and everything else you can use to get an ebook on a computer. I feel your pain, and I know you can do this. We will help you. I will help you. If you would feel better not posting your questions on the forum, you can click on my user name on the left on this post, and send me a message.

Edited to add: If you want to continue here rather than via private message, just let me know and I'll start posting instructions and asking you questions to get you up and running.
Wow, I am still smiling. I don't know what to say, maybe thank you so much. Whatever works for you works for me. I have about 200 books on my Nook touch, about 300 books on my kindle app and about 200 books in iBooks. I would love to have them all on Calibre so that I can sort the entire list any way I want and apply tags and etc. So maybe you could point me in the right direction.
Like what should I do first?
BTW...I went to your page...nice, comfy,real.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Wow, I am still smiling. I don't know what to say, maybe thank you so much. Whatever works for you works for me. I have about 200 books on my Nook touch, about 300 books on my kindle app and about 200 books in iBooks. I would love to have them all on Calibre so that I can sort the entire list any way I want and apply tags and etc. So maybe you could point me in the right direction.
Like what should I do first?
BTW...I went to your page...nice, comfy,real.
Now I don't know what to say! for visiting my page and for the compliment!

What we should do first is answer a few questions.

1. Are you using a Mac or PC? If PC, which version of Windows?

2. Do you have the most recent version of calibre installed? (When you have calibre open, down at the bottom toward the right, it will tell you if there's a newer version available, and that is also a link that will lead you to the download of the newest version.)

3. When you say "Kindle app" are you referring to the Android or iPad app? If more than one, which devices are you using the Kindle app on?

4. Do you mostly want to use calibre to manage the books on the computer (sorting and tagging as you mentioned) or do you also want to use it to manage the books on the devices (adding/removing)? This is important because things are done differently with the iPad than with the others, so I want to make sure we get started in the right direction.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Venus
Country girl

Quote:
Now I don't know what to say! for visiting my page and for the compliment!

What we should do first is answer a few questions.

1. Are you using a Mac or PC? If PC, which version of Windows?

2. Do you have the most recent version of calibre installed? (When you have calibre open, down at the bottom toward the right, it will tell you if there's a newer version available, and that is also a link that will lead you to the download of the newest version.)

3. When you say "Kindle app" are you referring to the Android or iPad app? If more than one, which devices are you using the Kindle app on?

4. Do you mostly want to use calibre to manage the books on the computer (sorting and tagging as you mentioned) or do you also want to use it to manage the books on the devices (adding/removing)? This is important because things are done differently with the iPad than with the others, so I want to make sure we get started in the right direction.
1) PC, Windows XP
2) I downloaded the most recent version
3) I use the Kindle app on my Android phone, my Acer Iconia tab a100 and my iPad the most
4) I want to manage books on my computer mostly. I want a way to know all the books I have and sort them and make a printable list so that I don't repeat purchases. I mostly dislike that all of my iBooks can only be read on my iPad. I have had my iPad for 2 years and if it dies I will be forced to buy another iPad or Apple device to read my books. Because of this I try to diversify my purchases.
Also for my birthday in May I am going to buy a new laptop so will I be able to transfer my books to a new laptop?
I was sitting here watching the Australian Open and reading my emails and then I went to MR and saw your post.....