Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Stepback book covers

Stepback covers are the "inner" covers often found on romance novels, teen horror, and I'm sure among other genres. There's an outer cover with a flower or something on it, you open it up, and there's a clinch picture on the inside cover (or a girl terrified by a ghost, etc.)

I have a number of ebooks whose dead tree paperback versions included stepback covers. The ebooks don't, but the images are often available online. So I could add them myself.

I don't see an easy way to manage the stepback images in calibre. There isn't either a second cover option or a two-page cover. When I searched for stepback in the forums I didn't find anything useful. Any suggestions on a simple way to get the stepback covers in place. I'm looking at well over 100 books so the less steps the better.

PS I'm also including the spelling step-back to help future searches. I have seen it spelled both ways out in the wild. And keyhole cover.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not a Sigil user myself, but because it's an epub editor I would think that you should be able to add this stepback cover as a simple image anywhere you like within the epub. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not a Sigil user myself, but because it's an epub editor I would think that you should be able to add this stepback cover as a simple image anywhere you like within the epub. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.
EPUB has only 1 "cover" declared
You can have as many (Front Matter) images as you reader can hold inside a book.
I sometime add 'alternate covers' after the declared (1st Image) cover with Sigil

Beware the Calibre can remove or update the FIRST image on conversion and not place this one first.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
EPUB has only 1 "cover" declared
You can have as many (Front Matter) images as you reader can hold inside a book.
I sometime add 'alternate covers' after the declared (1st Image) cover with Sigil

Beware the Calibre can remove or update the FIRST image on conversion and not place this one first.
Just to clarify so I understand. I can't have two "covers" with an epub but I can have a "cover" and then a followup image to reproduce the stepback pattern.

However, if I do that there's a chance that when I convert it from epub to mobi (I have Kindles) in Calibre that the stepback images may end up in the wrong order or the keyhole front cover may be deleted?
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
Just to clarify so I understand. I can't have two "covers" with an epub but I can have a "cover" and then a followup image to reproduce the stepback pattern.

However, if I do that there's a chance that when I convert it from epub to mobi (I have Kindles) in Calibre that the stepback images may end up in the wrong order or the keyhole front cover may be deleted?
AFAIK Calibre will not mess with the second image.

The first Image (assumes 'cover') can get replaced on send or convert
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There's an option to remove the first cover when converting but I only use that when I'm replacing the provided cover with another one so that I don't end up with two covers..
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote