Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Story HD support for Excel files

The Story HD manual says it handles .xls format (Microsoft Excel spreadsheet) files. I tried one today, 4 columns wide by maybe 200-300 rows. The Story HD tries to display it all on one page! Even with the high resolution, it's completely illegible. Unzoomable, too.

Does anyone else know about Excel file support on the Story HD? Is there anything I can do with the file to make it readable, or is it intended only for small files?

Last edited by Ntsimp; 12-21-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wish the firmware developers would concentrate on epub support (customizable styles, more options to get rid of things such as page numbers on the side), rather than add half-assed support for tons of format no one really needs nor wants on the ereader... I mean, seriously, Excel?! What is it supposed to be useful for - shopping lists? :-/
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I wish the firmware developers would concentrate on epub support (customizable styles, more options to get rid of things such as page numbers on the side), rather than add half-assed support for tons of format no one really needs nor wants on the ereader... I mean, seriously, Excel?! What is it supposed to be useful for - shopping lists? :-/
Actually, as a musician who often has to carry around set lists for gigs, lists of tunes etc this would be useful - if it worked
I used to have a a very "lite" version of MS office on my Cassiopeia back in 1995, so what ever happened to these useful little programs? (Able to run on a device with a whole 8 mb of raw power - and no, that isn't a typo, it is mb not gb!)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I think iRiver is quite careless with its wording when describing the features for the device. It doesn't actually recognise the formats of either Excel or Word files - it has a viewer for them, so ti can display them but as if they are a static picture, like a .jpg file. It's not the same thing as supporting the format.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
"I used to have a a very "lite" version of MS office on my Cassiopeia back in 1995, so what ever happened to these useful little programs?" they were built into the units. Some are still around on ebay and are pretty reliable little units. If interested search for some of the following. Most are similar systems (Windows CE), just different sizes.

mobilepro 880
mobilepro 900
mobilepro 780 or 790
jornada 800

google Windows CE devices and you should find others.

Doubt you should pay over 100, cheaper if you watch and wait. You will see them listed in the hundreds because they sold for over a grand new but that was years ago.

Or if you don't mind some scrolling a pocket pc would do, they have pocket office as well on most of them, like the del x50, 51 etc.

Last edited by exscentric; 04-15-2012 at 03:51 PM.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert