Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
jonthedit
Nameless Being

Kindle 3.3 Test Mode Help

Hey guys! I'm new here!
I'll make an introductory thread later, and when its available it will be here :
/insert later

So here's what I'm trying to accomplish :

I'm trying to use this dev's "test app" (as my kindle calls it) Kalculator aswell as the official kSnake_1.0.
Links :
>> kSnake_1.0 <<
>> Kalculator <<
--
So here's my current Kindle's Stats.

No Ads/Special Offers, Wifi only Kindle "keyboard" 3.
- Originally on 3.2.1; Jailbroken with YifanLu's Jailbreak. update_jailbreak_0.5.1_k3w_install
Followed by the screen saver hack, and a couple of months later the font hack.
[kindle-ss-0.23.N] & [kindle-fonts-4.9.N-k3]
After a while, 3.3 came out, I updated without uninstalling the jailbreaks, and they still work just fine. No issues, and on 3.3.

I noticed that my kindle doesn't have the "/var/local/java/keystore/" folder.
So I'm assuming there's a developer tool to access that or something.

I do NOT have the usbnet hack. I noticed both posts said you needed it. I found this guide : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8 so I'm wondering if I'll have any issues on 3.3.

So please, answer these questions :
Q: Is the usbnet hack required to load Kindlets such as the ones I want to load?
A:Yep! - Tested it mahself! - I just need to know commands to copy over the keystores.
--
Q: Is it currently possible to safely and correctly install the usbnet hack on 3.3 Wifi?
A: Yes! - I gave up on waiting and tested it out myself!
--
Q: How do I access "/var/local/java/keystore/" or am I completely offtrack here? (If I'm offtrack, please do explain the whole "/var/local/java/keystore/" thing and if possible give me a link to the explanation of what that is etc.
A:You can access that folder through USBNetwork or perhaps some other hack. You can't access it just by Windows Explorer by plugging in the Kindle. When you browse your Kindle on your computer, you're actually just browsing the /mnt/us/ directory. The Kindle only lets users browse this directory to try to protect the operating system from tampering. -kranu

-
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I hope to have a wonderful time here!

Last edited by jonthedit; 12-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.