Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
rbuljo
Enthusiast
rbuljo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch.
new e-reader. wich ecosystem to choose?

hi guys.

i`ve trouble deciding wich ecosystem to get involved with. been looking at the new kindle touch and the nook simple touch and sony t1.

should i choose kindle or nook? i have no experience with these. what ecosystem would suit me best? i will use it to read lot of regular books, bestsellers etc.. and technical engineering books for studies as i am a student.

so in short, what would you choose if you got a "fresh start" today.
rbuljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon (Kindle). Because of the customer service, and the fact that you can return a book if you don't feel it is done right, which no other ebook vendor allows.

Plus, you don't have to deal with Adobe for DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuljo View Post
hi guys.

i`ve trouble deciding wich ecosystem to get involved with. been looking at the new kindle touch and the nook simple touch and sony t1.

should i choose kindle or nook? i have no experience with these. what ecosystem would suit me best? i will use it to read lot of regular books, bestsellers etc.. and technical engineering books for studies as i am a student.

so in short, what would you choose if you got a "fresh start" today.
There is no one right answer. Whichever you choose, you have options to still read books in other formats. Yes, you'll need to do some format switching, and likely that will require DRM removal. But it isn't particularly hard. What you need to decide is where you want to buy most of your books, since that's what will end up happening once you have a reader.

Personally, I have no problem with choosing Amazon. They have superb customer service, they have excellent devices, and their selection is the best. Plus their buying experience is the goal everyone else strives for.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
rbuljo
Enthusiast

so amazon does have the greatest collection of books?

with the nook, i could root it and install kindle app? then get the best from both ecosystems? or did i get this wrong..

thanks for your help.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Amazon (Kindle). Because of the customer service, and the fact that you can return a book if you don't feel it is done right, which no other ebook vendor allows.

Plus, you don't have to deal with Adobe for DRM.
No, you have to deal with Amazon for DRM. It's a great lock. It means unless you want to strip the DRM and convert, you will be stuck with Amazon. Go ePub and you can go to a different brand if you decide. Say you buy a Sony and later decide you want a Kobo, you can and your eBooks go with you without the need to strip/convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Nook and Kindle both have extensive product systems. I'd focus on the device, rather than the system.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
With apologies to any Amazon or B&N stockholders, I suggest piecing together your own ecosystem from mostly free web sites and services discussed around this board.

Having said that, Amazon has a much greater selection of newspapers, magazines, and blogs. The $1.99 a month New York Times Lastest News blog is, for me, an extremely strong point in favor of the Kindle.

If I only used my eReader for books, however, Nook support for the EPUB format might tilt me in that direction.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Amazon. They will be around a lot longer. Not looking too good for B&N.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
You can install the nook app on the kindle without rooting the device. Seems like that would be best for you.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
rbuljo
Enthusiast

i would not be reading to many newspapers and magazines on this device. it will be mostly books, for studies(engineer) and regular books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You can install the nook app on the kindle without rooting the device. Seems like that would be best for you.
will i get the full experience and advantages kindle offers with this app on a nook? if i bought a nook i would probably root it anyway.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
A Nook outside of the US is not a great idea. It's unsupported and you're completely on your own if there are any problems.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You mentioned the Kindle Touch, not the Fire. The Nook app can only be installed on the Fire, which is not available in Europe (yet), and is not e-ink.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would not get a Nook because that you live in Norway. BN will not honor the warrenty outside of the US.

The format silliness is just that, silly. The sites that offer public domain books for free, such as Mobile Read, offer them for the Kindle as well as E-Pub Readers. You can shop at more stores for books with EPub but you do not have a large selection of books. The vast majority of books are available for EPub and Amazon. So you can buy from a smaller number of stores that sell Mobi books and Amazons huge store or you can buy from a larger number of, for the most part, smaller stores that sell EPub.

The largest EPub store is off limits, that would be BN, unless you are willing to set up a VPN masking program and can fool BN system into thinking you are in the US.

Since you live in Norway you are going to struggle with geographic restrictions and might find a VPN masking program is a good thing to have so you can buy books from stores in the UK and the US anyway.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
dbeman
Enthusiast
dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook ST
Device wise I would put the nook ST slightly ahead of the Kindle Touch. For the color "tablets" I would rate them in the following order:

1. nook Tablet (rated higher mostly due to the microSD slot; although it does have slightly more peppy components .)
2. Kindle Fire
3. nook Color

Most people who complain about Barnes & Nobles customer service have never done business with them; that being said I have had nothing but positive customer service from both Barnes & Noble and Amazon. Neither company is going to be around forever; but nor is Barnes & Noble in the dire financial straits that some would like you to believe.

All of that being said if I were in your shoes (ie someone who lives outside of the US) I would choose a Kindle over a nook; but I would also consider an e-reader that is not tied to any one ecosystem.
dbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
rbuljo
Enthusiast

ok, i got to cancel my order on a nook st.. i had made up my mind, but after seeing the advices against nook since i live outside US i must say i have to go with the kindle..

or is sony prs t1 a good choice? what is your take on that reader for a first timer?..

or perhaps i just should stop kidding around and buy a kindle touch.. anyone know where they offer international shipping at a reasonable price?