Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Kobo store should allow for sort by publish date

So I'm looking for the latest book by an author which is out in the last few days. “L. E. Modesitt” I get a list of 66,290 books. Now I have no idea how on earth Kobo gets the extra 66,240 books. Probably because they are looking for all occurrences of L and E as well. Fortunately I know enough to click on a link to the author inside a book description and I"m down to the expected 63 results.

But which is the latest book? I don't see it at the top of the list. Sheesh, let me sort by publish date descending so I can immediately locate the latest title.

I end up having to look on the authors Wiki page to locate the book title and then search on the authors last name and title to finally locate the book.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Try using " marks around the author name (and DON'T accept the prompted author name shown below the box).

I saw a total of 63 results this way, as opposed to the 66,290 when I didn't use the " marks.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Peter, yes I figured that might work too but didn't bother to try it. However most folks looking for the just out book by an author won't know all that.

If the Kobo team wants to help a non skilled person to immediately locate the book that's just available yesterday or last month they need to do some minor tweaking. It's all about convenience. And I suspect the price and thus the profits on the just released book will be higher than last years book.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had started a thread once on shop improvements, and JCKobo was interested in suggestions.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
The problem I find with the Publish dates is that they are related to the date of the epub edition so are relatively meaningless to me - it would be nice to know the original publish date so that you can find books chronologically by author.

For example, search for Ian Rankin and you'll see a large majority of the books have a publish date of Sept 2008. For his Rebus mysteries, it is good (although not essential) to read them in published order but there is nothing to help indicate the order.

(This is a wider ebook problem though, rather then Kobo-specific)

Last edited by digiSara; 11-30-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added example
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist

I can see your point in that respect when it comes to previously electronically published books. One alternative is to visit the authors wiki page, for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Rankin where the obsessed, errr, fanatics, err fans, have the data organized. (Hint, type wiki and the authors name at any search engine.)

It would of course be nice if the stores mentioned the series name and number. And tell you when the books are omnibuses which contain other already published books.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I tend to use http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/ for author series and order information however I do agree that the option to sort by pub date should be there. I detest Kobo's search options I still get German results coming up even though I have it set to english at the top of the page

melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Have you tried to refine the search using English on the left of the screen?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you tried to refine the search using English on the left of the screen?
Of course but if I've set it to English at the top of the page then I shouldn't have to then refine every single search by clicking english again on the left.
At the moment I'm doing a lot of searches as I'm trying rather unsuccessfully to find non-agencies titles to use the coupons on.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote