Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Mac OSX Trojan Steals Processing Power

http://www.macworld.com/article/1633..._bitcoins.html

Quote:
The DevilRobber trojan steals processing power, which can lead to slow computer performance, as well as actual Bitcoins, which are kept in virtual wallets on the victim’s machine.

“OSX/Miner-D [DevilRobber] also spies on you by taking screen captures and stealing your usernames and passwords,” warned Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant at antivirus vendor Sophos.

“In addition, it runs a script that copies information to a file called dump.txt regarding truecrypt data, Vidalia (TOR plugin for Firefox), your Safari browsing history and .bash_history,” he added.

So far, the Trojan has been detected in a BitTorrent download for GraphicConverter version 7.4, an image editing application for Mac OS X. However, this doesn’t mean that there aren’t similarly Trojanized torrents out there.
Probably still doesn't warrant buying anti-virus software for the Mac, but for those who venture into Bittorrents, something to watch out for.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
There is free anti-virus software for Mac; don't get caught out through apathy, kjk.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
There is free anti-virus software for Mac; don't get caught out through apathy, kjk.
True, AprilHare, better safe than sorry I guess-but trojans like these (on Windows or Mac) require you to actually download software of dubious origin-something I've grown even more apathetic towards as I get old

I only use Microsoft's Security Essentials now on my Windows machines-hoping Apple keeps up with their built in security stuff as well. The 3rd party stuff on Windows was always more trouble than it was worth keeping up with-haven't had any issues with MSE.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
True, AprilHare, better safe than sorry I guess-but trojans like these (on Windows or Mac) require you to actually download software of dubious origin-something I've grown even more apathetic towards as I get old

I only use Microsoft's Security Essentials now on my Windows machines-hoping Apple keeps up with their built in security stuff as well. The 3rd party stuff on Windows was always more trouble than it was worth keeping up with-haven't had any issues with MSE.
My first trojan was an update placed on Aminet (for my Amiga) - legitimate software that had the trojan attached.
Another virus I received was attached to a screensaver I downloaded from Toyota.
Never assume that because it's from a kosher site that it isn't virused.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
My first trojan was an update placed on Aminet (for my Amiga) - legitimate software that had the trojan attached.
Another virus I received was attached to a screensaver I downloaded from Toyota.
Never assume that because it's from a kosher site that it isn't virused.
Aminet is still up! Loved that site.
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have virus & malware protection on my Mac. It has protected me from one attack so far.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What does this mean for iPad?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
What does this mean for iPad?
Nothing. The iPad runs iOS, not Mac OS.
Dylrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Okay, thank you.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote