Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
daviddakota
daviddakota began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Wifi (maybe...)
Sony Reader Wifi - Google Books Sync?

Hi I have been looking at purchasing the new Sony Reader Wifi; but have a major question.

I have been using Google Books for a while and reading on my phone, but its definitely not a comfy experience. I have been waiting for a fully compatible Google Books eReader to arrive, but now I have been left confused by a Sony sales agent. He stated that the Sony WiFi will not sync books - I read elsewhere on this forum that it syncs Reader Store purchases but no mention if the Reader syncs Google Books titles too (so I can pick those up on other devices).

Can someone confirm. Thanks.
daviddakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
You most certainly can download Google Books.
It is a built in menu item on the reader. When you select it you are connected via WiFi to the Google page at the Sony book store. Simply search, select and download the book right to the reader.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
ScottyG
ScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The app on the Sony reader which says "Google Books" and looks like it would be the official Google Books app is not the actual Google Books app. It takes you to a section of the Sony Reader store where you can search and download the *free* Google Books.

If you want to download Google Books you've purchased, you will need to download them to the Sony PC/Mac software on your computer and then sync them to your Reader (if they are DRM-enabled). Non-DRM ePubs you can download directly to the reader using the books.google.com site.

So that means you won't be able to use some of the nice features from Google Books, such as automatic page synchronization between devices (allowing you to read on multiple devices and then continue where you left off using another).

If you're willing to root your device, it's quite likely you could then install the official Google Books app and get this functionality back. But it's not included in Sony's stock firmware.

Scott
ScottyG is offline   Reply With Quote