Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
sikm
sikm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Series/Collection

New to this forum and am looking, specifically, for info on the following. I'll be grateful for all advice.

I'm using Calibre to get my library in order and, to date, there is only one thing bugging me. I have all my books in a series within Calibre but, when I transfer them to the Kindle, the series info is lost and the books just appear in alphabetical order. Is there a way of transferring this data to the Kindle or does one have to have them in a series within Calibre then add them to a collection in Kindle?

Cheers, Simon
sikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Quick Responce.....

You need to change the Title of the book in Calibre to include the Series info before transferring to the Kindle.

ie.

Auth: Tom Smith
Title: First Mission
Series:Space 1999
Series Index: 1

will go into Kindle: First Mission Tom Smith

Change the Title to: Space 1999 #1 - First Mission

Now it will go into Kindle: Space 1999 #1 - First Mission Tom Smith

This will also allow Series to be listed in Series order in the Kindle.

You can use shortened Series Names if you like also.

S1999 1 - First Mission
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You need to look up Metadata plugboards. These provide a mechanism to get the title changed during transfer to the Kindle to help with sorting (while still keeping the title set correctly in Calibre).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
You need to change the Title of the book in Calibre to include the Series info before transferring to the Kindle.
I would advise that you don't do this, there are better ways of handling inserting Series in front of the title on the fly and you don't screw up your calibre library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You need to look up Metadata plugboards. These provide a mechanism to get the title changed during transfer to the Kindle to help with sorting (while still keeping the title set correctly in Calibre).
itimpi is right on the mark. Check out this sticky post "Techniques to use plugboards, custom columns and templates" for methods to insert the series in front of the Title as the book is transferred to the Kindle.

You might also find the Kindle Collections GUI plugin might help you manage your collections on the Kindle.

Good Reading!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
As dwanthny notes, the Kindle Collections offers a great deal of the sorting functionality you may be looking for.

As to JohnnyBook's post regarding changing how titles are displayed on the Kindle (and which dwathny also refers to in his post through the use of plugboards), I might recommend this thread in which I got some excellent help from chaley on just this topic.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
sikm
sikm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Many Thanks

The Kindle Collections plug in satisfies my requirements perfectly. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Simon
sikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Well my method was a quick amd dirty method to accomplish the end results... (Its what I have been doing. and I hate it.)

Thanks for the addional methods which I am sure I will be switching to very soon.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Well my method was a quick amd dirty method to accomplish the end results... (Its what I have been doing. and I hate it.)
Most of us have done this at some time or other so don't feel bad.
If you have ISBN's entered for your books then it should be easy to download metadata to correct your titles.

It is a bit of a pain, but I found it very satisfying when I had everything in the correct order.

Plus by the time I had it sort of figured out, I knew how I preferred by books to be formatted so the massive reconversion was worth it

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote