Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Tom Nook
Tom Nook began at the beginning.

Device: N2A
Magazines, Nook for Android , Partial Solution

Summary:
For a subscription with several issues that can't be accessed, highlight a magazine issue and archive it. Repeat for each inaccessible magazine. Then, reload and read any single issue from the archive. Repeat pattern for any other issue you wish to read.

History:
I've a digital subscription to "Prevention" Magazine. I've four issues, I'll call A,B,C and D with "A" being oldest to "D" as most recent. In NFA (Nook for Android) main page, a thumbnail image forms that shows stacked magazines with new "D" on top, and implies that A,B and C are below. When the thumbnail image is tapped, a blue bar forms mid page and shows oldest issue "A"' icon. A closer look shows that NFA attempting to display all the cover icons, but is not distributing them across the blue field! There is a jumble of titles above the thumbnail picture of issue "A" indicating that all issues A to D are virtually stacking on the same screen space. I can't get to any but the oldest "A" issue! Now for the solution!

First, tap the thumbnail image A in the blue field in order to download issue A (oldest). Once that is complete, long press the icon. A popup screen shows and asks if you wish to archive the magazine. Do so, but make sure that your N2A card settings (or any other tablet OS) will not delete the file from your device when you archive it! Once issue "A" is in archive, then the blue field should be empty. close it by tapping the stacked magazine icon again, and the blue bar should open with "B", ready for downloading. Do it and archive it as before. Repeat for C and D. Now magazines A to D are physically downloaded on your N2A card. This can be confirmed using any file management utility and looking in the Nook Folder. On the NFA main screen, there is a dropdown menu which allows you to navigate to your archives. Select archives and open that screen. Each magazine A to D is in there!

Finally, you can take any single issue of the magazine out of the archive and make it active. The issue can then be read as usual. Return the magazine to the archive and select another issue to enjoy it. If you wish to make issues A and B both as active, issue B will be virtually covered up, just as it was initially. This seems to be a NFA fault. I can only access one issue of a multiple magazine subscription at a time. I believe NFA was designed to display all the issues in the blue field, permitting a finger swipe and a simple press to select, but that is not how it is actually working. Remember too, that if you download a new version of NFA or logout, your downloaded files will be destroyed. You can save a duplicate copy to another folder, such as Documents, for later use, before compromising the NFA App.
Tom Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
I have several magazines and Nook for Android on my Nook Color, and I've never seen this happen.

So, no, it's not a NFA problem. Perhaps it's a N2A problem?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
wymore
Enthusiast
wymore began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I just put CM7 on my Nook and then the Nook for Android app, and I was having this same issue with overlapping issues of the same magazine. Thanks for the tip.

While we are on the topic of the Nook for Android app, I was wondering what the procedures are for sideloading content? The B&N website says you just connect to your computer and drag files to the Nook folder, but I searched the SD card and Nook itself and couldn't find any folder title Nook.
wymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymore View Post
While we are on the topic of the Nook for Android app, I was wondering what the procedures are for sideloading content? The B&N website says you just connect to your computer and drag files to the Nook folder, but I searched the SD card and Nook itself and couldn't find any folder title Nook.
How did you get CM7 on your nook? Did you copy directly into memory (EMM) or boot up via an SD card?

On my CM7 on SD card, when I connect to my PC, I have 2 drives show up: CM7 SDCard and MyNookColor. On the CM7 SDCard drive, there a folder that all Nook on Android books show up on at:
\Nook\Content

Since I don't have CM7 in memory, I can't tell you where it shows up there.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Tom Nook

More from the Nookster

Regarding my original post, I have the latest 16 gb. N2A card on my Nook Color. As it goes to locating downloaded B&N media, I open the app called "Android Assistant", and select "tools", then "file manager", then "Nook", then finally "content". This is where my epub files are located. Those Nook epub files can be copied and pasted to the "My Documents" folder in Nook folder too. Personally, I'd recommend placing a spare copy of them in another directory all together outside of Nook, such as a user made "My ebook" folder. ( This I've not acutually done yet!)
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Tom Nook

Regarding grabbing sideloaded content on the original Nook, I can't do this either. B&N support inferred that those files are protected. The work around is to download all them using the Nook for Android app on your Android device, then copy them to a secondary location. If you ever log out of Nook for Android, you lose the downloaded content unless you have copied to a place that isn't affected by the login/out process.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
wymore
Enthusiast
wymore began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangahm View Post
How did you get CM7 on your nook? Did you copy directly into memory (EMM) or boot up via an SD card?

On my CM7 on SD card, when I connect to my PC, I have 2 drives show up: CM7 SDCard and MyNookColor. On the CM7 SDCard drive, there a folder that all Nook on Android books show up on at:
\Nook\Content

Since I don't have CM7 in memory, I can't tell you where it shows up there.
I copied it directly onto EMM.
wymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I've given up on getting magazines at a reasonable rate. Instead, I downloaded the Pulse app and that satisfies all of my magazine needs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote