Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
MRKisThaTKid
MRKisThaTKid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is my Kindle 4's background too dark?

I received my Kindle 4 yesterday and I feel slightly disappointed with the screen. The problem is it is my first eBook reader so I have nothing to compare it to. I read somewhere that the background should be around the same as an aged paperback but I've grabbed the most aged paperback I can find in the house and it's definitely brighter than the Kindle.

I've taken a photo with the kindle next to the book under slightly limited natural light, hope the link works.

Do you think I should return it or is this about what is it to be expected? What is Amazon's replacement policy for factors like this?
MRKisThaTKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Amazon's return/exchange policy for the Kindle is excellent...so you could try that route.

However, I think your screen is average and I don't think you'd see much difference if you swap it.

Does the background bother you while reading? If so, you could try some of the other fonts (or even the font hack) to get the text to stand out more.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That looks entirely normal to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
It looks fine to me. I think you should spend a few hours reading a book or two on the device before you make any decisions.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
MRKisThaTKid
MRKisThaTKid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Amazon's return/exchange policy for the Kindle is excellent...so you could try that route.

However, I think your screen is average and I don't think you'd see much difference if you swap it.

Does the background bother you while reading? If so, you could try some of the other fonts (or even the font hack) to get the text to stand out more.
Under good light it is readable. To be honest I'm just suffering from that obsessive feeling of having a dud.

If you think it's normal then I'm happy with that. Thanks for your opinion.
MRKisThaTKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Lalilulelo
Enthusiast
Lalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It's the same as the other ereaders. Just looks less bright next to the gray frame that replaced the black one of the previous Kindles.
Lalilulelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
On my first K4 the background was a gray and the text was dark gray. This was unacceptable to me as my K3 is creme with black text. The second they sent me is light gray background was near black text. I kept it and changed the font to something blacker. Now I suggest if the background is not as light as light gray and the text doesn't look black to exchange it. There is a bad batch going around it seems and some people are getting K4s that do not have that good of contrast a screen as a Pearl Screen should be.

I know you can't rely on a pic to capture what it really looks like. Believe me I've tried. So I can just describe to you what the two I had looks like, now they're are others here who have been very lucky to get one with excellent contrast but if you look at the reviews on the K4 at Amazon you will see some of us just don't have that luck and all you can do is replace it and hope for a better one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Despite what you may have heard, eink is not like paper. It's just more like paper than LCD. The kindle ads also show them as having a white background or near white, but that is a combination of careful lighting and maybe some photoshopping. The screen is gray in normal lighting condition.

Whether yours is grayer than it should be is impossible for us to say from a photo. The only way you can tell is to do a side by side comparison with a new nook, Sony, or kindle 3 or 4.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I think your screen looks terrific.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The problem I noticed when trying to take a pic of the K4 is the text always looks bolder then it really is. I've tried with flash and no flash, moving the light around but finally gave up. This doesn't happen with the K3. I think it's something to do with the Bezel on the K4. So when you see a pic of the K4 keep in mind that it may not really look like that. Amazon's pics are either deceiving or they used a different manufacturer for the screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
that's normal.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=31
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
And here I was with my Kindle 2 thinking I'd missed out on a better screen with the Kindle 3. Your screen looks much the same as mine, unlike the Amazon ads.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
And here I was with my Kindle 2 thinking I'd missed out on a better screen with the Kindle 3. Your screen looks much the same as mine, unlike the Amazon ads.
I think if you saw a k3 screen next to a k2, you'd see a very good improvement. The k3 is a pearl screen, where the k2 is not.

Judging screens from photos is rarely a good idea.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
I think if you saw a k3 screen next to a k2, you'd see a very good improvement. The k3 is a pearl screen, where the k2 is not.

Judging screens from photos is rarely a good idea.
Agreed. and light makes such a huge difference in e-ink screen readability. A well-lit e-ink screen can look almost white whereas in a dim area the screen will look dark grey.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The problem I noticed when trying to take a pic of the K4 is the text always looks bolder then it really is. I've tried with flash and no flash, moving the light around but finally gave up. This doesn't happen with the K3. I think it's something to do with the Bezel on the K4.
You could perhaps cover each reader with a sheet of paper with a hole cut it in so that only the screen is visible. That would allow you to compare the screens directly, free from the influence of the bezel colour.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote