Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
BillD
BillD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Slate fetch failing

Slate recipe failing in latest calibre - can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
calibre, version 0.8.21
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Fetch news from Slate (complete)

Fetch news from Slate (complete)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.21
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': 'original',
'chapter': None,
'chapter_mark': 'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': None,
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_compress': False,
'dont_download_recipe': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x057461D0>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'lrf': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'mobi_ignore_margins': False,
'mobi_toc_at_start': False,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': True,
'no_inline_toc': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x0488CE50>,
'page_breaks_before': None,
'password': None,
'personal_doc': '[PDOC]',
'prefer_author_sort': False,
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': None,
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': '',
'rescale_images': False,
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'share_not_sync': False,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': '',
'sr1_search': '',
'sr2_replace': '',
'sr2_search': '',
'sr3_replace': '',
'sr3_search': '',
'tags': None,
'test': False,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'username': None,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: Recipe Input running
Python function terminated unexpectedly
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'findAll' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 187, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 947, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\input.py", line 105, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 824, in download
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 961, in build_index
File "c:\users\bill\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.21_t mp_hbvew0\hgifhh_recipes\recipe0.py", line 289, in parse_index
sections = self.extract_named_sections()
File "c:\users\bill\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.21_t mp_hbvew0\hgifhh_recipes\recipe0.py", line 109, in extract_named_sections
for section_nav in soup_nav_bar.findAll('li'):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'findAll'

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
lennyw
lennyw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I'm having exactly the same problem. I tried updating from 8.19 to 8.21, but this hasn't changed anything. Ran perfectly without errors last Monday (26 Sept).

My code looks the same as yours so I won't repeat it.

Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks.
lennyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
fixed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
lennyw

Wow, that was fast, thanks.

I'm a little puzzled though. How is it fixed without some kind of update? I'm still having the same problem both with Slate Complete and Slate weekly.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre automatically fetches the latest version of the recipe, as long as you are using the builtin recipe. You appear to be using a custom recipe, in which case the error will never go away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You appear to be using a custom recipe, in which case the error will never go away.
If you are using a custom version, decide if you really need it. If you don't, just start using the builtin. If you need your custom version, then copy Kovid's new recipe and make the changes you need.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
lennyw

As you may have realised, I'm a noobie here. Sorry for seeming a bit slow on all this.

Essentially, I tried to make changes to the standard Slate (complete) recipe so that I could download it more often, and not always end up with the same articles again and again, ie, I only wanted to get the articles I hadn't already downloaded.

The best I could do was to make a change in the slate_complete = True to False, which makes it weekly, and indeed the final product is smaller. However, it only worked once (26th Sept) and now it fails with the same code as the OP gave.

Starson17, you mention that I should copy Kovid's new recipe and make changes. Where would I find this (or do you mean the one within the Calibre program)?

I have tried a "new" Slate (complete) and this works fine, but I'm still left in the situation that it's DLing the entire site each time. Is there any way I can do something about this, perhaps with regards to the following post:

#10 "Recipe to keep track of feed items already downloaded and only download new items" on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70263

I'm sure I'm not the only reader of slate with the same desire.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Chrisddickey
Chrisddickey began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Only Slate.com updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyw View Post
I have tried a "new" Slate (complete) and this works fine, but I'm still left in the situation that it's DLing the entire site each time. Is there any way I can do something about this, perhaps with regards to the following post:

#10 "Recipe to keep track of feed items already downloaded and only download new items" on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70263

I'm sure I'm not the only reader of slate with the same desire.
I am also a brand new user of Calibre, and I would also really like to see this.

Every time I do an import, the Slate recipe brings in about 100 articles, several of them weeks old, and none of them from today.

Thanks everybody, and this seems like a wonderful product.

Worse yet, all of the articles have today's date on them, so I can't tell just by looking at them how old they are and waste time looking at an article I read 2 weeks ago.

I would love to be able to just download articles I have not downloaded before. An acceptable substitute would be one that only does yesterdays articles. Heck, if it even just downloaded the 100 most recent articles, that would be OK so long as it kept them in published order, so I could stop reading when I started to see articles I had seen before.
Chrisddickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisddickey View Post
Every time I do an import, the Slate recipe brings in about 100 articles, several of them weeks old, and none of them from today.
Slate is one of the more complex recipes. You'll

This thread has a link to the code that is used to prevent duplicate articles from being downloaded. That's one option.

Another is to make sure the article dates are being pulled correctly and use the "oldest_article" parameter. Currently it's set to 14 days, but that won'thave much effect if the dates aren't correct.

The last is to see if the recipe author wants to tackle these issues. I see the authors are 'GRiker, Sujata Raman and Nick Redding'.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote