Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
mccabejess
mccabejess began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unable to load more books to Kobo, not a full memory

I have two kobo touch in my house. My mom's has only 426 mb out of 1400 mb used on her reader and yet it will not allow me to add more books through calibre. I have tried methods I read on other forum discussions such as disabling my antivirus, and disabling the meta data writer (very frustrating as I can not longer self title my books) and I still can not add more books. If I try adding through Adobe Digital Editions I still can not add books. What is frustrating is the books will show that they have transferred from calibre, and sometimes the file will be shown in the memory of the reader, but when I turn the book on there are none of the books that said had transferred. I know this is not the problem with the individual kobo as when it started doing this we thought it was the kobo and bought a brand new one and the same thing happened. It seems to happen after about 50 pages of books are on the kobo (250 books) I only have 46 pages of books on my kobo and can still transfer books but I can not get any on my mom's kobo. Very frustrated!! Does anyone else know why this is? All help much appreciated.
mccabejess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Can you download books from the Kobo store? Try a few free books like H.G Wells or Alexandre Dumas.

Have you tried side-loading through Windows explorer?
You can try this by opening "Computer" and one of the option should be somthing like (j)Koboereader open that and make a folder called "side-loaded" and copy and past or drag and drop the books onto it that way. That might work.

I'm not sure if Kobo limits how many books you can side-load to save room for books you buy from them.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Have you tried opening a support ticket with Kobo? This actually sounds more like a corrupted database OR a bad book that is preventing others being added.

eMail: help@kobobooks.com

http://www.kobobooks.com/help
http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
http://kobo.zendesk.com/home

are all viable means to get in touch with Kobo and ask for support.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Part of me wonders if she'll even notice, with 400+ MB worth of books already on there. Perhaps once she's gone through all those book already loaded, in approx 9 years or so, then you can look into it further
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In reply to Latch's post:

Those books could be biography's, then they have lot's of photo's in them and some take up to 40m a piece, which equals only 10 books.
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
mccabejess

I will try the side loading. I have opened a ticket with kobo and am waiting for response. They have told me before that they do not recommend using calibre, but its the only program I have that will convert rar, lit, mobi, pdf etc to epub, as well as remove the drm. I will try the side loading and see what I come up with. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
mccabejess

Oh and in response to how long it takes to read we average 25- 30 books a month in this house so it doesn't take that long lol
Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm well aware that it could also be one single 426 MB book, but I was just making a small joke based on the average ebook file size.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabejess View Post
They have told me before that they do not recommend using calibre, but its the only program I have that will convert rar, lit, mobi, pdf etc to epub, as well as remove the drm.
The problem I have with that statement from Kobo help desk is that ALL that calibre is doing is copying the ePub to the Kobo; the exact same way as copying a file via Explorer or ADE does.

calibre as far as adding books to an e-Reader is doing NOTHING SPECIAL!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
klontj
klontj began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 / nook color
I am having the exact same problem. See my post - Problem Sideloading Epubs. This occurs with both the 1.9.10 and 1.9.11 firmwares. I have done four factory resets and can initially load up to 3 books which show up in my library after resetting. After that I can transfer epubs directly or using Calibre. I can see that they are in the correct Kobo directly - but they never show up in my library. After ejecting properly, the Kobo goes into an extended processing content for up to several hours and then goes into a sleep mode. When I get to Kobo to come out of sleep mode (no easy trick) the books are not in my Library. My Kobo is now freezing in sleep mode and I have to use the paperclip method to wake up. If you check this forum, you'll see that a number of people are having the same problem. Alll of the epubs that I read work well on my Sony PRS-950 ereader. I am disgusted and ready to return my Kobo which I used to like.
klontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired

Ya that's weird about the Calibre comment.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Ya that's weird about the Calibre comment.
I'm betting someone went off script with that remark. Tim Legge, who does the Kobo plug-in, has been a valued member of the beta group since its inception and one of the earlier user manuals cited Calibre by name several times as various how-tos were discussed.

There was a Calibre bug fix for the Kobo plug-in in the last update.

Last edited by taming; 10-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabejess View Post
I will try the side loading. I have opened a ticket with kobo and am waiting for response. They have told me before that they do not recommend using calibre, but its the only program I have that will convert rar, lit, mobi, pdf etc to epub, as well as remove the drm. I will try the side loading and see what I come up with. Thanks!
Did you try sideloading? Did it work? If not take a look at the following:

1) Verify the date and time on your computer and on the kobo (including the timezone)
2) Run calibre in debug mode (there is an option on the preferences menu I believe) and try transferring the book and post the debug log
3) Perform a factory reset
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
porandos
porandos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS600, iRex DR1000S
I have the same issue: I can't upload more than 1 book a time. I used Adobe Digital Editions only (as one of the books was DRM protected). I uploaded 2 ePubs - 1 DRMed, 1 not protected. After ejecting USB device Kobo went to processing content. It stuck on 9 % for a good couple of minutes. I turned it off, turned it back on - the books didn't appear in the library. Connected USB again, the files were on the device but Kobo didn't show them in library. I removed both files, uploaded just one book - succeeded - processing content took less than a minute, book appeared in the Library.Uuploaded the other book - it worked as well.

Concluding - Kobo Touch has a hard time processing more than 1 book uploaded a time. It's not Calibre related.
porandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Are you connected directly to the computer or through a USB hub or extension cable? The touch seems to like the direct connection best
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote