Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Further 302 issues...any suggestions (other than the trash?)

The 302 has been one of the worst, most frustrating gadget purchases I've made in years. I'm using, it, now, until it gives up the ghost, at which time I'll replace it with something non-pocketbook. I like the e-ink screen, but PB's software support and manufacturing quality of the 302 has been terrible and never lived up to the promises made by the company and reps on this site.

I'm on 15.2, the last (if I understand correctly) non-beta version of the OS.

My latest issues:

1. battery cover cracked around screw, now must use tape to hold in place (not much more I can do here).

2. The calibration of the touch screen is no longer accurate, with a .25-.5 cm vertical shift regardless of the number of times I recalibrate (with pen or finger). I can adapt, but it's a pain.

3. The device sporadically loses all bookmarks for the book I'm currently reading as well as the place I am in the book.

4. the microSD card (if I'm getting the type right) functions one moment, not the next. It's not the card, but, I believe, the connection of the card-slot hardware to the mb. When the case flexes/moves, it goes in and out of contact. Thus, working one moment, not the next. Because of this, I have to put all my books that I want to access reliably (or copy them there) to the internal memory.

5. The latest issue and the one I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for is that when plugged in via USB (to Win 7), win7 sees the internal drive as needing to be formatted. I can see/copy to (usually) the external memory card easily enough. Now, what's odd is that the internal memory card is the only one consistently working on the device. Is there a mode in the system to check/verify the internal memory and drive? I obviously don't want to reformat it from windows. (by the way, until a month or so, the internal drive read fine and without issue). For now, I copy my books to the external memory, load up the device, and copy each book or folder to the internal memory manually; it's a pain. Any ideas?

I won't even bother going into the lack of features that were promised on the website and by reps here in the past over 14 months ago that haven't appeared (and on who's promises I foolishly purchased this device).

I'm trying to stretch the life of this device out, being fairly broke these days, otherwise I'd have long since used it as a projectile to deal with the noisy seagulls that breed on my neighbor's roof. I'd not even give this thing away to someone as they'd come to hate me quickly for passing on so much frustration.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
PocketBook USA gives 2 years warranty for all readers. If I am not mistaken your device is still under warranty. Have you considered contacting the service center and sending the unit there for repair/replacement?
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

I just checked my warranty card in the box, and it's for only one year.

Honestly though, I'm not putting another cent into the device (for shipping it to the US), it has been such a disappointment. Between the lack of progress with the firmware and feature set that was promised 14 months ago prior to my purchase, and repeatedly the next 8 months after (before being dropped like a hot potato), it's not worth it. That may sound ignorant considering the initial cost of the device, but I don't believe in throwing good money after bad. I've basically paid ~$0.80/day for this thing after taxes up here, and resented it after the first 3 months.

Last edited by guyanonymous; 09-29-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
well, have no suggestions on the hardware issues, but there is a new firmware version (15.4), out just today on the Russian forum: have a look here:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...QGBAcXA#753724

The direct link is here:
http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...nxnew_user.zip
Good luck!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I just checked my warranty card in the box, and it's for only one year.

Honestly though, I'm not putting another cent into the device (for shipping it to the US), it has been such a disappointment. Between the lack of progress with the firmware and feature set that was promised 14 months ago prior to my purchase, and repeatedly the next 8 months after (before being dropped like a hot potato), it's not worth it. That may sound ignorant considering the initial cost of the device, but I don't believe in throwing good money after bad. I've basically paid ~$0.80/day for this thing after taxes up here, and resented it after the first 3 months.
There was a typo on all warranty cards for 302 model. The warranty is 2 years started from the purchase receipt date.
I totally understand your frustration and that you don't want to spend another extra cent on your unit but just wanted to let you know in case you decide to check this option. You can always check by email or phone with the service center first before making a decision about shipping the reader for repair.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru

I appreciate that. I do have to say that the distributors on here have always been polite and helpful where they can (as you are showing now).

If I'd been able to find one of the US distributors willing to ship USPS, I'd have even got it from there instead of Tiger Direct up here...alas with the ones I contacted only shipping UPS to Canada (or another courier) and unable to confirm brokerage fees etc (I've been gouged too many times by UPS, especially), it was ~the same price (factoring in brokerage fees, taxes, exchange, and shipping cost) to get it from Tiger Direct here in Canada. Alas, I should have paid attention to my gut when the first unit I received was physically defective and a big hassle to exchange.

My first call (I had to leave a message) to the repair depot in the US (apparently my only options) was returned (message left), but subsequent followup calls were never returned - further frustrating me. (This was 8-10 months back).

It's sad, too, for PB, because my job for the last year took me into 3-4 different schools/week. Sitting in the staffroom, I would read my books, and almost daily be asked about ebook readers and my thoughts. My stock response quickly became, I highly recommend one - just not one from Pocketbook. When asked why, I'd explain. Returning to those same schools over the year, I'd often see new ebook readers in teacher's hands - and, to my satisfaction, not a single on was PB, instead they were Kobo's or Sony's (the brands available locally, as I recommended they go hold one in their hand first to see which they liked), and one Kindle.

OK, I'm done complaining...I'll have a look at the firmware that was mentioned, but admit to having very low hopes/expectations.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Inkpad 3 -> Onyx Boox Nova 3
The latest RC firmware seems to solve the #4 problem that you mentioned. I'll have to use it for a longer period to be sure. But that is about the only problem we have in common. That said, I think the RC firmware still needs work, hopefully compatability (.doc, .html) issues will be solved before final launch.

Your PB302 must have seen a fair amout of usage, as I haven't had any of the other problems that you mention after 18 months. And I own two PB302s! Could your problems possibly be caused by wear? I must say that mine stay at home 95% of the time, sometimes accompanying me on vacation and the odd occassion.

Then again, I didn't buy the 302 based on the promises of the keyboard and writer app. I just compared specs to the other brands and the 302 came out best (for me) at the time. If you read the other forums, you'll see that all the other brands do have their own share of problems, and often just as bad or worse as the ones you describe. Sony, Hanvon, Bebook, iRex, I've read about data corruption, hardware problems and general disfunction and in one case even bancrupty.

I hope you can work it out with the warranty and enjoy reading on it a bit more. My take is that support is a bit like a two way street.

Last edited by joepie; 10-02-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typos
joepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru

Thanks for the info on the RC firmware. I'll continue to wait, then, for final firmware, since I do read .html files on it as well.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

OR you could try the RC, and see if it helps out with issues #2, #3 and #4.

It shouldn't take too big an effort, even if you lose the option to read html for a while.

In that case I'd advice you to:
  1. make a backup of all files in your internal memory
  2. format the internal memory as win 7 wants you to do (to address issue #5 and maybe, maybe #2)
  3. install the RC
  4. restore books and dictionaries etc - but not system files obviously
  5. ask PB to send you a new battery cover, so to save on return postage

If the RC doesn't pan out, you can always revert to 15.2, and hopefully lose issue #5.

Ofcourse if you feel unsure or unlucky, you may do better to wait for the final version of the firmware. Other than the mentioned incompatibility of minor formats, and one crash to 'mainmenu', I've had not had a single problem.

Last edited by joepie; 10-02-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
guyanonymous
Guru

Good suggestion....

But I can't access the internal memory to back it up. :/

Will reformatting the drive from Windows still allow it to boot etc, or will I be wiping out the boot files etc as well?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
joepie
Zealot

I'm not entirely sure. My guess is that you won't be able to boot after the format, other than going the firmware update route. Make sure you have an sd with the RC on it beforehand and make sure it's a good copy.

If you are ok to lose your book/current data/settings etc. It might be the best thing to do atm. It's very hard to pinpoint the root causes of the issues you have from your descriptions.

Problems might be partly caused by your desktop. I would certainly try to hook up to another computer (WinXP) to see if it's the same.

If you're certain that there is a problem with the internal memory of the ereader, you'd better format it anyway. If the internal memory isn't reliable, you run risk of losing your data at any given time.

Maybe you have a backup of your books on your desktop or somewhere else. Then you'd only be losing settings and extra applications.

In your stead, I would format the internal memory asap, because I believe it's solid state memory and just every now and again a small corruption may happen in those. Maybe, just maybe that is the cause of some of your problems as your system files are on the internal memory as well - I'm thinking of issue #2 now.

Ofcourse there is no guarantee that formatting solves anything. Should the memory prove to be broken, you have all the more cause to send the machine to PB. That would be a generic problem, not really PB related. The memory in my 302 is produced by Philips.

Last edited by joepie; 10-03-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
guyanonymous
Guru

Maybe I'll tackle this next weekend when I have some time.

Thanks for the suggestions, and they do make sense.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
joepie
Zealot

Good luck if you do! And let us know how you fare.

BTW I noticed that the maintenance menu has an option to format the internal memory (I knew it was there, but never really paid much attention to it before).

I think I'd try that option before letting Windows do the formatting. Windows being Windows... more like a second option thingy if you ask me , even if it's 7.

And don't forget to put the RC firmware on de SD first (unzipped!!). Best of luck!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
guyanonymous
Guru

I'll track that down - I was hoping there would be something specific for that purpose that was built in. And definitely preferred to Windows formatting if I have the choice.

Thanks, again, for the supportive ideas.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #15
guyanonymous
Guru

I did the reformat of the internal HD, and it is now accessible from my Windows 7 machine.

I've tossed a bunch of books on it, and I'll see how it holds up.

Fingers are crossed.

If it holds up and the RC becomes the actual release, I may give that a shot next. For now, though, I'll stick with 15.2

Now where was that 180 version of the book software around...hmm...and why was it I originally put it on instead of the stock?