Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
approaching EOM, newer firmware, Onyx?

It's getting close to the end of da month, is newer firmware available?
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

I swear, if there's another 9.7 inch pearl screen device made by anyone else other than Chinese companies, I will never go back.

Onyx certainly lacks the software engineering skills to manufacture a decent workhorse, and yet they still do is pushing out semi-functional device without even a working firmware. and it's beennnn months months.. I hope Sony release a 9' device soon so I can left this M90 to my dad .
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Like Kindle DX?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
Like Kindle DX?
I have heard it has poor PDF support and that's why I shunned away from Kindle.

Not many 9" pearl screens around.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Yeah, pocketbook 90x is good but too bad is vizplex. Too bad is vizplex but even so I'm really thinling taking it instead of onix.
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
Yeah, pocketbook 90x is good but too bad is vizplex. Too bad is vizplex but even so I'm really thinling taking it instead of onix.
seemingly, e-ink is a rather small market as not many manufacturer are willing to make new products. despite e-ink pearl has been out for a while...and 9" devices are even rarer for serious reader such myself
Old 09-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
seemingly, e-ink is a rather small market as not many manufacturer are willing to make new products.
Just read this:
http://www.knightdigitalmediacenter....ts_pew_report/

E-readers are much more popular in the US (thx 2 amazon) than tablets.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
Most irritating to me is that the display blinks several times on waking up from standby and takes me to a random folder instead of the home screen. But I love the Pearl screen. I also like it that I don't have to crop margins on PDFs before copying them over to the device. Also, I just today discovered it is possible to install custom fonts when upgrading the firmware.
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Scribble is now very fast... i'm very happy for this. It's a little step toward a good 9.7" e-reader (desipte being a bit slow in general).
What is to fix now is the dictionary. It is still unuseful.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
Scribble is now very fast...
What do you use this feature for Shinra? I am curious because I have never used notetaking programs, not even on my Windows computers.
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My M90 is now locking up every time it comes out of sleep. It will go to the first page of the last book read, but it won't advance pages. The only button that responds is the home button, and that is after I hit it several times. If I try to close out of the book, it brings up the Go To page dialog.

If I click the button on the bottom to put it to sleep, it will restart. When it restarts it still locks. If I reset it, then restart it, the page will still not turn, and the buttons still don't respond.

The only way I've come up with to get the unit to work again is to plug it in, then put it to sleep and turn it back on. Then it functions normally, until it goes to sleep again.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
My M90 is now locking up every time it comes out of sleep. It will go to the first page of the last book read, but it won't advance pages. The only button that responds is the home button, and that is after I hit it several times. If I try to close out of the book, it brings up the Go To page dialog.

If I click the button on the bottom to put it to sleep, it will restart. When it restarts it still locks. If I reset it, then restart it, the page will still not turn, and the buttons still don't respond.

The only way I've come up with to get the unit to work again is to plug it in, then put it to sleep and turn it back on. Then it functions normally, until it goes to sleep again.
Does it have an SD card in it? If so, how does it behave without an SD card?

How does it behave if you go to the home screen before letting it go to sleep?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCotton View Post
What do you use this feature for Shinra? I am curious because I have never used notetaking programs, not even on my Windows computers.
For scribble i usually mean annotation's function... however, i use very often the real scribble, for example when i write formulas and other calculations. Indeed, a wacon pen turns an almost useless app like scribble into a very useful one, since i can use an e-reader as an e-writer, and i can forget about papers, block notes and similar stuff.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Does it have an SD card in it? If so, how does it behave without an SD card?

How does it behave if you go to the home screen before letting it go to sleep?
No SD card.

I have returned to the homescreen prior to it going to sleep. Sometimes it will work when it wakes, sometimes it doesn't. It's getting to be quite a pain.

Right now I am trying to delete a book from the library on the M90. It doesn't want to do that either. Oh look. Now it's frozen again.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
No SD card.

I have returned to the homescreen prior to it going to sleep. Sometimes it will work when it wakes, sometimes it doesn't. It's getting to be quite a pain.

Right now I am trying to delete a book from the library on the M90. It doesn't want to do that either. Oh look. Now it's frozen again.
I'm sorry that you and the other M9* users are suffering so much on the bleeding edge.

Can it be powered completely off? That is, does it go through a boot up when it is powered back on?

If so, is it more stable when it is powered off after each use? If that doesn't help, I am losing hope that I would find the M92 useful.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote