Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Where should I buy eBooks?

Hi,

I have a growing shopping list for eBooks, but I'm not quite sure which of the online retailers is the better choice. Since I own an iPad, I don't care about specific formats, what matters is that the book is going to be well formatted, and that I'll be able to recieve updated revisions when they are available.

I'm looking at Amazon vs. Barnes & Noble, and from what I understand Amazon automatically update books, and let you download a newer version - does B&N do that as well?

Now, what about formatting? Can any of you who have been shopping at both places can chime in on this?

Thanks!
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
B&N updates their books and makes them available for free like Amazon.

Formatting from what I've seen is the same. Inconsistent but most books look alright.

The biggest issue I've seen with Amazon books formatting wise is in TPZ files. There is no easy way to tell which type (TPZ or AZW) a book is in.

B&N I mainly see issue with the font and font size being explicitly set in a way that prevents you from changing it while reading.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Buy them from where ever you want, use Calibre to store them, and plug ins to remove the DRM if you want. That way you can convert the books and read them on any device.

I have bought 350 books from Amazon with no problems.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3, Kobo Libra 2
You may want to consider Kobo as well. Free updates as well, like the others, and I've not run into the font size issue like is mentioned for B&N.

I dunno, for me, I see no reason to be loyal to any particular store. Buy from all of them, and learn the particular quirks of each one. All have their ups and downs.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Thanks for the help!

I wonder if most publishers first create an ePub file and then use KindleGen for the Kindle version?
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
They probably have programs that generate each file for them. Given that the Kindle is still the best seller in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if that is created first and then 30 seconds later the EPub file is created.

I think that the formatting is more of a challenge for an Indy author who has to handle all of that by themselves then a massive publishing house which has more likely then not developed a program that handles the conversion for them. The large Publishers are generating too many books for them to be hand converting files.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The typical methods are: EPUB into kindlegen, Mobipocket Creator, or the Kindle plugin for InDesign. In every case it really comes down to how much time and money the publisher wants to spend making the book look good.

Amazon's format (MOBI) is simpler in nature than EPUB. Some people prefer this because it reduces the amount of variation between books to a degree.

Going off of other people's advice, download the samples for books your interested in from a variety of stores and see which you like better.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I agree with everything said. If you're not concerned about the platform, be open-minded about bookstore. Since I own both Kindle and Nook (along with an iPad), I usually buy from both B&N and Amazon. If prices are the same, I *tend* to prefer B&N, as removing DRM is easier with Linux. Formatting is pretty much the same through both.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you like fantasy/sci-fi, I'll plug for Baen Books, which offers a lot of e-Books from their catalog for free. It's a good way to see if you'll like a particular author. They sell in most of the major formats.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post

I'm looking at Amazon vs. Barnes & Noble, and from what I understand Amazon automatically update books, and let you download a newer version - does B&N do that as well?
Amazon does not automatically update books you have already purchased. Sometimes they will send an email and ask if you want the update. If you do, all of your bookmarks and annotations will be lost.

More often you will never know if an ebook has been updated, and you will not get the update automatically. If you find out about an update, you will need to contact Amazon and let them know that you want the updated version. They will generally give you a refund on the original purchase, and you will need to buy the updated copy.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Calibre was mentioned above... it has a really nice Get Books feature that searches at least 34 sites for books, comparing them by cost. International sites are included.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote