Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Leeron
Leeron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Adding private commands to the search bar

Hi Guys,
I searched the forum (and the web) but found no article documenting how to add private command to the Kindle search bar. (like ~usbNetwork, ~exec, etc.)

So, how do I do it?
Leeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Why don't you use launchpad?
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
Leeron

Launchpad looks nice, I'll look further into it
But what about my original question?
I'd really like to know the answer, (for educational proposes if nothing else) even if I'll end up using launchpad.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
There is no easy way to add new commands.
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
I wrote this a week ago to accomplish exactly what you are asking.

Quote:
Capture is able to take input from the firmware and use that info to execute shortcuts.
all search queries from the main menu with ;debugOn are saved in the logs, capture looks through the logs at a set interval. Proper commands start with "cmd." as a prefix followed by the command ending with "," then any arguments it may take.
example - "cmd.say, hello word" executes the command 'say' with the arguments "hello world" (say uses the kindle's tts)

commands: (add any command by adding a case in /usr/sbin/capture)
cmd.say, speak to me - use kindle's tts to speak
cmd.refresh, - dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1
cmd.restart - restarts the framework
http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...kindle-0.1.zip

^ Capture script to go into /usr/sbin/ and the /etc/init.d/ script for it.

Quote:
chmod a+x /usr/sbin/capture /etc/init.d/capture.init.d
ln -s /etc/init.d/capture.init.d /etc/rc5.d/S99capture
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Leeron

@Sir Alex: Who said I'm looking for an 'easy' way

@dasmoover: That's a bit awkward, but very nice non the lass. Thanks

Do any of you guys know what does usbNetwork uses to add a native private command?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
as I understood it, usbNetwork support was "there" (as in implemented within the Kindle software, probably for testing purposes in some development units), but just missing some bits and pieces within the file system of a "customer" unit (which are restored by the usbNetwork hack). So the answer would be: It does do nothing to add that command. The command is already there. But admittedly, I didn't check.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Leeron/@hawhill: Yep, exactly .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Just an idea:

usbNetwork is already there, but maybe there is another command that is already 'there' that nobody uses. You could replace that command with your own.

Unfortunately, you would not be able to customize the name of the command, and you'd be limited in the number of commands you can add.

It's best just to use launchpad. I use Launchpad to start USBNetwork anyways; typing in the whole debug stuff takes significant longer.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote