Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
apella
Edge User

low update activity

Given the problems the edge still suffers from, I was wondering why there come out so few updates.
This counts for the app store as well, the number of released apps is rediculous.

While the edge is a nice device, that I'm enjoying a lot, more regular updates would be a nice sign of activeness

Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Based on the updates since the eDGe launched, we've been seeing pretty big updates most of the time (3 to date) followed by minor fix-it updates (about 4 I think). This involves a lot of design, development and testing time with limited resources (since enTourage is a start up, not Motorola or Nokia). In addition, we've learned in the last few months that they've been working on new models with 3G, expected to launch in November, which is more work for them to do. Lastly, we know they're working on upgrading to Android 2.2, which again takes time (just look how long the big players are taking to update their cell phones).

Admittedly, enTourage is a bit of a quiet company and short on progress updates or even monthly newsletters, but I think the communications people themselves are busy with trade shows and pilot projects at schools and universities.

Nevertheless, enTourage is as or more active as a big media-saavy company like Apple, which has product releases only 2-3 times a year, and software updates the same or fewer times. (Above I indicate we've seen about 6-7 updates since the eDGe launched at the end of February.)

As for the App Store, it will take time for developers to learn about it, and the truth is there's nothing special about the apps currently listed as almost any Android app (that supports Android 1.6 or lower) will run on the eDGe, so there are thousands available to you (review the Android App forum for sources and apps).

Last edited by borisb; 10-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

BTW, the app store will never be as huge as the Google Android Market. Once the eDGe-specific software development kit (SDK) is released (expected by year end), developers will be able to create eDGe-specific apps (i.e., ones that use the eInk screen) and these, by necessity, will only be available in the enTourage app store and that's when the enTourage app store will become more useful to eDGe owners.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
apella
Edge User

What you say is all true, I know the dificulties thaat go with software development (I'm actually lloking quite forward to the day they bring out the sdk), but I just felt as if it would be nice if they brought out faster bus smaller updates.
Perhaps I'm just spoiled on some subjects, but that's how I feel about it.

Concerning the app store: I realise that it will indeed never be so large, but as large as the official store would be useless anyway, given the large ammount of crap that you find there.

The way I see entourage going right now just gives me the feeling that they try to do everything at once - also with the mini-edge now - which results in a bunch of things that aren't really polished, instead of focussing on one thing at a time.
whether it is a good strategy or not, only time will tell I guess.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Chubulor
Edge User

Boris, do you have to make this many excuses for your Italian bread?

If they're developing new products they should have raised extra capital for those projects. They shouldn't be back-burnering the problems current customers have with their device.

Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

I rather like Italian bread, actually

Old 10-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
If they're developing new products they should have raised extra capital for those projects. They shouldn't be back-burnering the problems current customers have with their device.
I agree with Chubulor.

That said, fall is not over yet by a long stretch. Let's be patient, people. So far, Entourage has kept its promises.