Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
aidren
Edge User

PDFs and Hidden Text Layers

I just found this in the "Feature Requests" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork
1) Currently, exported PDFs do not have text beneath the page images. As a result, it is not possible to search within the document. It would be great if the exported PDFs retain text layer as well.
So, does this mean

1)when I open a pdf with a hidden text layer that it will not be searchable?
2) that the eDGe strips the existing hidden text layer when exported?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
devseev
Edge User

I believe (2) is correct

Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
soilwork
Edge User

It is just as devseev said. You can search within PDFs with text layer just fine.
It was a bit disappointing that exporting strips text because I initially thought of using eDGe to add comments to PDFs and sync them with those on PC.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
It is just as devseev said. You can search within PDFs with text layer just fine.
It was a bit disappointing that exporting strips text because I initially thought of using eDGe to add comments to PDFs and sync them with those on PC.
That was my plan, too.

I am picking my eDGe up tomorrow. In the mean time, I dug around a little in Acrobat Pro and found that if you keep an originating file in tact on your desktop, you should be able to export your edge file under another name and import your annotations to the original file. I tried this (without the eDGe, of course) and it worked fine. The new annotations merged with the originating file. What you have to be careful about is not to add or delete any pages on either side of the equation or the new annotations won't map properly. It's a workaround at best, but at least it's fairly easy. I hope Entourage can find a solution to this.

What I wasn't able to do was to find a similar solution for bookmarks that might be added on the eDGe. Acrobat Pro (I'm using v8) doesn't seem to export, import or merge bookmarks. So, at this point I'm thinking I might use annotations on the eDGe to indicate any bookmarks I want to add, import them and then create proper bookmarks manually. A bit of work, but better than nothing.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
soilwork
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidren View Post
It's a workaround at best, but at least it's fairly easy. I hope Entourage can find a solution to this.
I really hope so. Of course, even without improvement, eDGe is better than any other alternative in the market now but it could be better with some improvements.

For example, since eDGe uses Android system, it would be great if dropbox is supported once Android version is available. Also, it would be excellent to have the ability to add comments/memo/scribble on documents outside of Library.

Advert