Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
gruijter
Edge User

VPN support to get to University library digital documents

To be able to use the University library I have to connect over VPN. On a windows PC I am using the cisco VPN client. Being able to browse through the Library documents and reading/annotating them on the eDGe is the main purpose for getting one. Is there an inbuilt setting I am not aware of, or is there an App available to set up a (ipsec) VPN tunnel?

Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
PhysicsFan
Edge User

VPN connectivity is important for me as well. Both PPTP and IPSec. I use PPTP for accessing work and IPSec to access my home server.

Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

maybe this info will help

http://blog.brightpointuk.co.uk/addi...droid-16-donut

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
PhysicsFan
Edge User

borisb:
Quote:
try contacting your network administrator
I am the network admin so no problem there Although, I won't have anyone to blame if it doesn't work.

cheyennedonna:
Sweet! Looks like it should work. I just ordered my Edge today so I'll post a status once I've had a chance to try it.

Thanks

Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
PhysicsFan
Edge User

I received my eDGe earlier this week and am having fun learning all the cool features. However, the builtin VPN is a bust for me I can't get PPTP working, which is odd since it's the easiest to setup and all my other devices connect fine. I then moved on to IPSec and didn't fare any better. Some Google searching revealed that Donut does NOT support Cisco IPSec (group based). I'm not sure if Android 2.1 fixes this. There are some 3rd party apps that some claim to work, but you have to root your device to use them (you need root privilege to create the tun device).

Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
gruijter
Edge User

I found this: "This is the first release of an installable package to allow google android phones to connect to Cisco like VPN concentrators" http://code.google.com/p/get-a-robot-vpnc/

I have no clue how to install it. Anyone elso who wants to give it a try?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

This app requires root

The installing phone will require:

Cyanogen, JesusFreke or ROM with root and tun support.
A cisco, nortel or freeswan IPSEC server to connect to.

Something not possible with the edge, at least not yet.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
done
Edge User

Have you tried connecting to a Cisco VPN since the update? We added some fixes to VPNC that may have resolved the issue. If you continue to experience problems connecting to VPN please let our tech support team know - we may be able to resolve the issue for you or work on a fix for any issues.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
PhysicsFan
Edge User

Was the VPNC option available before the Coyote update? I don't remember seeing it before. Anyway, I gave that a try and it still didn't work. However, after reviewing my router logs I think I identified the problem. The VPNC client doesn't appear to support a ID_FQDN (fully qualified domain name) peer ID. I've submitted a ticket regarding this issue. Tech support said they are going to look into it and said they are working on improving VPN support overall.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
rawkawn
Edge User

cisco vpn support

Has there been any news on this? I've got a work network that uses cisco vpn with group authentication. Any help would be greatly appreciated!