Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Uk Tabloid Recipe

HI All.
I think this may be my first post here even though i've been reading mobileread forums for a year. Generally I've found any information i could give is already covered, so there's been no need.

However..

I've been trying to figure out recipes as i want some light reading for my dinner break in the form of the Sun or daily star from here in the uk.

I've tried the basic recipe on the daily star, but all i'm getting (as i expected to be honest) is the links to articles which when clicked on take you to the daily star's website and the correct article.

I tried editting the Times recipe, changing the prefix and the various extensions, but all I got was an error which upon examping was reported as either 404 or 403 depending on various URLs I tried.

Question. Is there a generic script for us dummies where you can edit the parent URL and the script will substitute and fetch the actual articles instead of just inserting the link - where you can state a recursion of fetching links say 4 children deep?

I hope that makes sence.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
The saying is that a fellow with a hammer will see every problem as a nail. RSS is well implemented in so many applications. The one I like using is NewFox that is a FireFox addon. But, they abound.

I also have frequented the Baen Free Library and used a browser to read a novel. Calibre's viewer is far superior along with its many other features. It is a much enjoyed part of my toolbox. It is nice to utilize a collection of tools to expand or ease our experiences.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenP View Post
The saying is that a fellow with a hammer will see every problem as a nail. RSS is well implemented in so many applications. The one I like using is NewFox that is a FireFox addon. But, they abound.

I also have frequented the Baen Free Library and used a browser to read a novel. Calibre's viewer is far superior along with its many other features. It is a much enjoyed part of my toolbox. It is nice to utilize a collection of tools to expand or ease our experiences.
Yeah.... thanks for that.

In the mean time. for anyone else like myself who struggles with this I managed to get something from the daily mirror using the code below. Maybe someone could tell me the best method?

Also I found the problem with the Daily star - it uses feed portal as mentioned in the thread about the irish post. I was tempted to change the urls in the irish post recipe, but i suspect it may not work...

=====================

class AdvancedUserRecipe1306061239(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = u'The Daily Mirror'
oldest_article = 2
max_articles_per_feed = 100

keep_only_tags = [dict(name='div', attrs={'class' : [ 'article-body', 'crosshead']})]

feeds = [(u'All News', u'http://www.mirror.co.uk/rss.xml')
,(u'Tech News', u'http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/rss.xml')
,(u'Weird World','http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-world/rss.xml')
,(u'Film Gossip','http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/film/rss.xml')
,(u'Music News','http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/music/rss.xml')
]

Last edited by scissors; 05-25-2011 at 01:38 AM.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote