Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
florianbailey
florianbailey began at the beginning.

Device: thinking about an iliad
Question Some questions about the Iliad ?

Hi,
this is my first time here, very nice people, very helpful thanks a lot.

But I still have some questions before ordering my iliad

How good is note taking ? Does it feel responsive enough ?
Can I zoom in and out while taking notes ?
Can I draw small mindmaps with it ?
How good does it sync the notes back ( Whats the format and is it usable or are my notes stuck in file format oblivion ? )
Anybody tried to work with Evernote and an iliad ?

How is the battery life, I'm a bit confused after reading every possible time span ( 5 hours - 10 hours ? ) ?

How easy does the display break ( a lot of confusinf opninions about that one ) ?

Is there a function to lock the hardware buttons so I can drop it into a bag running and could use it as a shopping list without having to boot.

Is there anbody in germany who could show me a real iliad ( Munich, Nurnberg, Berlin ? ) ?

Thanks a lot confused likely Iliad buyer Florian
florianbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
Henry Loenwind
Enthusiast
Henry Loenwind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by florianbailey View Post
How easy does the display break ( a lot of confusinf opninions about that one ) ?
I had to drop mine about 5 times...
Henry Loenwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
--Not bad. I use it in classes and meetings. Generating a new page in notes mode is a bit slow.

--Yes, but the display reacts somewhat more slowly than an LCD, for example, so you may not want to do this.

--Absolutely.

How good does it sync the notes back ( Whats the format and is it usable or are my notes stuck in file format oblivion ? )
--An XML file ties the notes together. They are stored as JPG (I think-- might be PNG.) I've gotten into them without trouble.

--Sorry, can't help with that question.

How is the battery life, I'm a bit confused after reading every possible time span ( 5 hours - 10 hours ? ) ?
--Note-taking uses more power than reading. You'll probably still get 7+ hours even if you're taking a lot of notes. I get about 12 when just reading. Someday there is supposed to be a battery upgrade that will increase this. The developer community is working on software fixes, too.

I've had mine for about 5 months, and no problems so far. I got an inexpensive "planner" cover to keep it in. You want to protect the screen, but no need to be paranoid.

Is there a function to lock the hardware buttons so I can drop it into a bag running and could use it as a shopping list without having to boot.
--There is a hardware button lock icon you can tap with the stylus. I've done what you describe. Don't forget to turn it off when you're done shopping, or you'll have that shopping list on there until the battery recharges. There's a lot of discussion about changing the software to leave the last page up when you turn off the unit.

Is there anbody in germany who could show me a real iliad ( Munich, Nurnberg, Berlin ? ) ?
-- There are several MobileRead members in Germany, but I'm not one. Someone else might respond...

Good luck!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I've had mine for about 5 months, and no problems so far. I got an inexpensive "planner" cover to keep it in. You want to protect the screen, but no need to be paranoid.
These days the iLiad is supplied as standard with a fabric bag which has some kind of extremely tough insert in the front of it to protect the screen. It would take some serious mis-use to damage it through that.

Quote:
-- There are several MobileRead members in Germany, but I'm not one. Someone else might respond...
Our forum regular "Tribble" is the official agent who sells iLiads in Germany. I'm sure that he'll be able to help.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hi Florian!

I could show you an iLiad in Bonn. There are no salespoints in germany as of now, where you could have a look. There might be another iLiad user in your neighbourhood from this forum though.

Quote:
Note taking is good. The strookes lag behind a bit, but it is comfortable to use. With the calibration tool on the next firmware release, it should be quiteaccurate aswell. (mine is a bit off at the moment, but very well useable.)
Quote:
Yes and no.
If you scribble on images, then you cannot zoom at all. The standard image viewer does not support this yet.
On PDF you can scribble and zoom in and out. Zooming is not totally free. You cannot zoom in indefinately.

Quote:
Yes. But you should use a PDF canvas for that. No free canvas application is available yet.

Quote:
As mentioned before, it uses an XML file to store the notes. MyScript can convert those notes to text with handwriting recognition on the PC. Or you can use the saved image file.
The iRex Companion Software allows to merge PDF files with the added scribbles into one PDF file.

Quote:
No. But the image files could be used with it. I do not know, if it will be able to handle the XML files.

Quote:
5 hours is a bit low and was mostly a result in a permanently active WLAN. You should get about 10 hours out of the iLiad with normal usage. Lots of scribbling uses some battery. I have used the enhanced community ipdf and have gooten as much as 15 hours of use out of it. But about 10 hours should be in there.

Quote:
The screen has a glass based cover and breaks easily if pinpoint force is applied. Ellbow on the screen will usually be deadly. You should protect it when carrying it around. I have not been informed about a change in the packaging yet, so as far as i know, there is no protective cover included with the iLiad.

Quote:
Yes, a software button does exactly that.

Quote:
As i said. If you are in Bonn, feel free to visit me and have a look. You should make an appointment though

Best regards,
Falk
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Tribble,

The "shoulder bag" which used to be an optional accessory appears to be being supplied as standard with the iLiad now. I got one with mine, and a couple of other people on the iRex forum have said the same. It was in the iLiad box, with all the accessories (hub, charger, etc) inside it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Great. Noone told me that. I got to open one of those boxes i guess and see for myself.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote