Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
ilseholland
ilseholland began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Dr1000S
Irex Dr1000S crashes and loses notes

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling with this problem for a while and am hoping someone here might be able to offer me some advice.

I bought an Irex DR1000S second hand in december last year. It's great for reading all of the articles for my research and making notes of said articles. But for some reason it keeps crashing all the time and either loses the notes altogether or it seems to save them but leaves me unable to open the file containing the notes. So basically I have to do the same work over again (sometimes several times) or just beg and pray that I will not lose all my hard work.

Does anybody know a way to fix or bypass this problem?

Some specs in case you need them:
- Product type: DR1000S -XW
- PCBA Revision: 1.0
- EPDID: 24B004
- Software version: 2.0-rc3
- Software Build Number: 201006291749
- Kernel Version: 2.6.24-irex (2000)
- Micro Application Version: 0.41

Thanks!
ilseholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
The problem might be related to your SD-card. Did you try another one?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
ilseholland

No I haven't, but I'll definitely try that. I know the SD card that's in there at the moment is one of the cheapy ones that came with the reader when I purchased it from the previous owner.

Off to the shops right after work and see if it helps, thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
ilseholland

I've now purchased a Kingston 8GB class 4 SDHC card, will try it this afternoon and let you know how it turns out
Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
ilseholland

Well, that didn't quite have the desired effect... Everything seemed to be peachy, made notes with the notepad about one of my first articles, closed the pdf and then the note and hey presto, suddenly my reader doesn't show any of the files that are on the card anymore.
The files are still there, I can see them when I connect the reader to my pc, but for some reason it's not showing them. Any suggestions?
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
ilseholland

I asked too soon, just found this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123391

Problem solved for now
Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Oops I could have advised this earlier. I was confused with the notes disappearing (which are stored in local metadata.db files and not in the global.db file.)

Good to hear it functions again.

Do you still have a backup of the corrupt global.db file? I would want such a file to see if I can make some kind of detection mechanism for corrupt global.db and add it to dr1000-hackx ( new name for MackxPatch). I see more people struggling with a corrupt global.db file. If you still have, and want to share it, can you send me a PM? (Note that global.db contains information of all documents on your SD card, so you will be sharing some personal information. The notes that you made are stored in different databases so they are not in global.db. The file might be very big depending on the number of thumbnails that are stored in it.)

Marcel.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
ilseholland

Hey Marcel,

No I'm sorry I just fully deleted it I'm afraid... I do still have the global.db file as it was on my old SD card before I copied it onto the new one if that's any help? Either way I'll remember to email it to you if it happens again!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
ilseholland

Made 3 pages worth of notes and so far no sign of any trouble. Looks like changing the SD card has done the trick indeed Kingston 8GB class 4 SDHC can be added to the list of cards that work (and Apacer 4GB class 2 SDHC to the cards that don't).
Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
Mackx
Guru

I briefly looked at the global.db that you send me. On the PC (with SqLite2009Pro) some errors where reported with the database. I also quickly tested it on the emulator and could not see any real problems. I will do some more checking. The problems you experienced might (also) have been related to other problems on the SD-card.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
ilseholland

Ok cool, thanks for having a look anyway and as I said I hope it's of some use to you somehow