Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
First impressions - Sony Reader vs. iLiad

As an experienced Sony Reader user, and new iLiad owner, I thought it might be of interest to give a first impression of the pros and cons of the two machines.

Build Quality

No doubt about it, the Sony wins "hands down" in this department. The brushed aluminium case of the Reader gives it the "feel" of a much higher quality product (to me, at least) than the rather tacky plastic iLiad.

Screen

A big "thumbs up" for the iLiad here! The iLiad screen is larger (approximately twice the area of the Reader's screen) and, to my mind, brighter and higher contrast than the Reader's. That could well be down to the iLiad's 16 grey-scales compared with the 4 of the Reader.

Connectivity

A slightly "mixed bag" here. I love the fact that the iLiad simply appears as an extra drive on a Windows PC (and presumably other machines too) when you make a USB connection, and that you can just drag and drop files - much more "elegant" than having to use Sony's "Connect" software to put content on the machine.

On the other hand, the Sony's simple USB cable (and the fact that it will charge via USB) is a benefit over the horrible "hub" that the iLiad uses (for those who've never seen one, it's a plastic box that you plug the network cable, USB cable, and charger into, which then in turn, plugs into the iLiad).

Software

The iLiad wins big time on the flexibility of its software, and the fact that you can install new applications on it (that is, I'd say, its single biggest advantage over the Reader - it's much more of a general-purpose computer than the Reader).

However, as a book reader, I prefer the Reader's actual reading software to the MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad, which is a little primitive in its current incarnation. iRex do seem to be updating the software regularly, however, so hopefully it will get better. The fact the the iLiad supports MobiPocket gives it access to a hugely wider range of commercial eBooks than are available for the Sony, of course.

Battery Life

No contest here, obviously. The Reader only needs to be charged once a month or so; the iLiad every couple of days at least. I've been using my iLiad for probably 4-5 hours now, and the battery meter is showing about a 60% charge remaining. On the other hand, the Sony discharges continually, because it never shuts down; the iLiad really does shut down and boot up every time you turn it on and off, so if you only use it occasionally, it will (presumably) retain its battery charge for longer.

Conclusion

Very early days yet for me with the iLiad, but I'd say there's no clear winner. The Reader seems to me to have the edge as a fiction reader, provided you're not interested in commercial eBooks. If you do want the commercial stuff, access to the enormously wider range of MobiPocket books may be of interest.

The iLiad is certainly a far more flexible machine, if you want to do more than just read fiction, but despite the fact it's much more expensive than the Reader, it doesn't have the same impression of "quality" than the Reader has - at least for me.

I'm pleased to have both. I can certainly see myself using both in the long term.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I agree with most of what you've said.

Since I've only thumbed through the Sony in a few stores, I'm curious as to what's lacking in the Mobipocket reader that the sony has for LRF. To me, the Mobipocket reader was one of the best upgrades for the device. PDF is just too limited for books...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Great comparison, HarryT. I'd add that the iLiad has an input method in its pen and digitizer, which can be used to annotate while reading-- not everyone needs this feature, but it is rather a huge difference between the two. Other differences include the wireless networking on the iLiad and the variety of storage types supported (CF, SD, USB memory). Again, these features aren't of interest to everyone, but they are worth noting, I would think.

You might want to try FBReader, ported to the iLiad by our own AdamB. I use it for reading all non-PDF documents. While I miss the annotation capabilities of PDF when using FBReader, I like the library function and the general usability of the reader. I'd be interested in a comparison between FBReader, Mobipocket, and the software on the Sony.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Since I've only thumbed through the Sony in a few stores, I'm curious as to what's lacking in the Mobipocket reader that the sony has for LRF. To me, the Mobipocket reader was one of the best upgrades for the device. PDF is just too limited for books...
The big thing, for me, is lack of support for multiple fonts and (unless I'm mistaken) the fact that you have to use the stylus to navigate hyperlinks. I'm not too keen on the Sans-Serif font that it uses to display books.

You're right - I should of course have mentioned the stylus input - that's one of the big advantages of the iLiad, of course!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Great comparison, HarryT. I'd add that the iLiad has an input method in its pen and digitizer, which can be used to annotate while reading-- not everyone needs this feature, but it is rather a huge difference between the two. Other differences include the wireless networking on the iLiad and the variety of storage types supported (CF, SD, USB memory). Again, these features aren't of interest to everyone, but they are worth noting, I would think.

You might want to try FBReader, ported to the iLiad by our own AdamB. I use it for reading all non-PDF documents. While I miss the annotation capabilities of PDF when using FBReader, I like the library function and the general usability of the reader. I'd be interested in a comparison between FBReader, Mobipocket, and the software on the Sony.
Excellent points - I definitely plan to try FBReader. Even as we speak, my iLiad is rebooting after downloading the shell access update, so I'll be able to install apps.

Edit: I'm very impressed by the iDS service - what a great way to send updates! I just ran the "wizard" and it worked first time with my ethernet network.
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The big thing, for me, is lack of support for multiple fonts and (unless I'm mistaken) the fact that you have to use the stylus to navigate hyperlinks. I'm not too keen on the Sans-Serif font that it uses to display books.
I agree. I rather read with serif fonts aswell. You should be able to just add fonts to a directory and maybe set style with a css file.

I hope we get an easy way to switch fonts soon.

And while we are at it, the margins are too small for me aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
However, as a book reader, I prefer the Reader's actual reading software to the MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad, which is a little primitive in its current incarnation. iRex do seem to be updating the software regularly, however, so hopefully it will get better.
MobiPocket on the iLiad is already better than the same package on the Pepper Pad 3, see MobiPocket Java Reader on Pepper Pad 3. Note that the PP3 version does have multiple fonts, but it can't change the line spacing or margins and it does not have dictionary support. Also, FBReader is now much better at handling .mobi files than it was when I posted in January and it may be your best option for non-DRM content on the iLiad (as it is on the PP3).

The best metric of how well an iLiad reader performs is probably to compare against the desktop versions. For example, what can the Windows XP version of MobiPocket Reader do that the iLiad should do but does not today? There would be a much shorter list for FBReader, although this is in part because it is currently less full featured on the desktop (e.g. missing annotations and dictionary support, both planed upgrades).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that the PP3 version does have multiple fonts, but it can't change the line spacing or margins and it does not have dictionary support.
I must have overlooked these options - can you explain how to set them on the iLiad?

Quote:
Also, FBReader is now much better at handling .mobi files than it was when I posted in January and it may be your best option for non-DRM content on the iLiad (as it is on the PP3).
I do plan to check out FBReader - thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:08 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Harry, what about ergonomics?

I find the Reader optimal in size and weight when reading a longer book.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Interestingly, although the iLiad is larger than the Reader, it's actually lighter in weight due, I suppose, to the fact that it's a plastic rather than a metal case. Because it's larger, too, it's comfortable to hold two handed, as you would a book. It's a very pleasant reading experience from the ergonomic perspective. You "turn the page" on the iLiad with a "rocker bar" which runs right down the left side of the machine; this is easier to use than the page turning buttons on the Reader.

At first I found the larger page size on the iLiad to be rather disconcerting, because I wasn't used to having to "move my eyes" across the line. Now, though, I like it. It's like the difference between reading a paperback and a hardback book, with the larger size.

I'd give the iLiad full marks for being nice to read on from the ergonomic point of view but, as I say, I think the Reader has the edge software-wise for reading at the moment. There's an alternate book reader available for the iLiad, FBReader, which I plan to install and try out over the next few days. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #11
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
At first I found the larger page size on the iLiad to be rather disconcerting, because I wasn't used to having to "move my eyes" across the line. Now, though, I like it. It's like the difference between reading a paperback and a hardback book, with the larger size.
I always format my books with a wide-ish margin for the iLiad (specifically, 1,4cm each side), which gives me exactly the width of a paperback text (I grabbed a book of a shelf and compared), and saves my eyes from having to travel too far or having too many words on one line. If they'd given 0.5cm from each side to the top and bottom of the screen, it would have been absolutely perfect.

By the way, I LOVE the rocker bar, brilliant idea that one.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Like u Harry I have a Sony Reader and am seriously considering getting an iLiad (although if our dollar keeps dropping it will get expensive) I would think tho that even if the iLiad's software is its weakness that will evnetually be resolved as it seems to be easier to add different applications to. A BBeB reader for the iLiad would be a good idea - then we would be able to make a good comparison.

Are there any other apps for the Sony Reader out there? PDA apps would be a good one for instance but how would u inpuit info?
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:30 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No "3rd party apps" for the Reader yet, no. All people have done is tweaked the UI - eg adding a clock to the status bar, and modifying the functions of the buttons.

MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad has grown on me the more I use it. It has a few "funnies" (eg when it opens in the middle of a book, the styles are often "messed up", but going back a page and then forward again fixes it). It still lacks a few things that the Sony has - eg bookmarks. Perhaps that will appear in a future version.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Larry Z.
Enthusiast
Larry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Hi Harry -

I also have an iLiad and a Reader, and wrote a comparison somewhere on this site (though I can't remember where)...

I agree with most of your points, however, Mobipocket has one function I feel should be highlighted, and that's RSS feeds. I'm able to get TIME and Newsweek stories on my iLiad, as well as some other martial arts related stuff that I like to peruse.

All I have to do is synch the iLiad, and it updates every week. Picking the periodicals is a breeze too. While I agree the Reader is a more solid feeling machine (and has better ergonomics IMO) the iLiad has a great display and I like flipping the pages with the bar.

If I had to choose one now, it'd probably be the Reader because of it's size - but they are both great devices that will hopefully see further development.

Cheers!
LZ
Larry Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:12 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for that comment, LZ. I've never used RSS, so hadn't picked up on that one.