Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Llama77
Llama77 began at the beginning.

Device: None
New here, looking for ereader.

I am looking for a device to read e-books while sitting on the couch or in bed.

so I was really planning on getting the Sony reader, it looked perfect and then for $50, what a deal. This was until I went to check it out at Borders in Penn Plaza here in NYC. At first with the books that come already on the device, they looked decent, I am not sure that they were exact to paper but pretty close.

Now I had no intention to buy any licensed books via any retailer, I have resources where I can get almost any e-book for free from work. So I got a few of my favorite programming book titles, put them on my cameras Memory stick and took it down to Borders. I loaded up some of my books, one called "Agile Web development with Rails". The quality of the text was really bad, it really was not text, just little worm shaped lines. So I then used the size button and zoomed in, while this was a little better, it wasn't that much better. I just could not see myself buying this product even for the $50. sorry, but i will have to pass for my needs.

I am am still on the look out for a good device, any help would be appreciated.

The reason I need a great device is well, I cant sit very long do to sciatica.
Llama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Were you looking at a PDF? The Sony Reader is horrible at PDFs; that's the greatest weakness. The only ebook device for PDFs is the Iriver Iliad. Unfortunately, it costs $700+.

If it wasn't a PDF, then before you give up on the Sony Reader, have a look at the conversion tools one of our members created. They take a variety of file types, and output a LRF file for the Reader. The converters are all very solidly functional.

There is also a way to convert PDFs for the Sony Reader. I haven't used it yet so I can't give any details.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Llama77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Were you looking at a PDF? The Sony Reader is horrible at PDFs; that's the greatest weakness. The only ebook device for PDFs is the Iriver Iliad. Unfortunately, it costs $700+.

If it wasn't a PDF, then before you give up on the Sony Reader, have a look at the conversion tools one of our members created. They take a variety of file types, and output a LRF file for the Reader. The converters are all very solidly functional.

There is also a way to convert PDFs for the Sony Reader. I haven't used it yet so I can't give any details.

well all I want is PDF's, would a PDA be better for me. like the Palm tx.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest if you want to only read PDF, then a laptop would be your best bet. None of the portable readers are all that great at PDF. The solution is to convert your PDF to HTML or DOC and use Book Designer to format it for the Sony Reader. Othwise it's going to look like crap no matter what device you get. The iRex iLiad is better then the Sony, but the price is $750 for it. Now if that's ok, go for it. But overall, PDF is a format for printing, not reading. If you are making ebooks in PDF, then you are doing it WRONG. PDF is not a good format to read. I don't even like to read PDF on my 1600x1200x32 LCD computer screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I differ with the above members in that even on the iLiad the letter and A4 sized PDF files are not great, a little better than the Sony but not anywhere twice as good. If a PDA could read them you would either have very small print (squiggles for lines) or you would be panning the screen for each line.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Llama77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest if you want to only read PDF, then a laptop would be your best bet. None of the portable readers are all that great at PDF. The solution is to convert your PDF to HTML or DOC and use Book Designer to format it for the Sony Reader. Othwise it's going to look like crap no matter what device you get. The iRex iLiad is better then the Sony, but the price is $750 for it. Now if that's ok, go for it. But overall, PDF is a format for printing, not reading. If you are making ebooks in PDF, then you are doing it WRONG. PDF is not a good format to read. I don't even like to read PDF on my 1600x1200x32 LCD computer screen.

I don't make em, i get them like that. I don't really have a choice.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
lloydt
lloydt will become famous soon enoughlloydt will become famous soon enoughlloydt will become famous soon enoughlloydt will become famous soon enoughlloydt will become famous soon enoughlloydt will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad / Sony Reader / Tungsten T|X
I have an iLiad (my second one in fact, due to a sad theft story), and I love it. It's excellent for PDF's I make myself and now has what may be an even better format in Mobipocket .PRC files. Either PRC or iLiad-optimized PDF files can be obtained from mobileread.com.

It works reasonably well for reading "standard-sized" PDF's, but it's not ideal for doing that. I do like to use it for reading much talked about reports: Supreme Court decisions, IPCC (Global Warming) reports, and other documents you wouldn't want to kill 100 pages worth of trees for. But in my experience, the most pleasant reading experience comes from PRC files or the PDFs I print myself (or obtain from Mobile Read). When printing myself, I use a defined page size of 5.5 x 6.68"; this is a lot nicer than reading a file printed for a standard 8.5 x 11" page.
lloydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Actually I use BookDesigner to convert my books from pdf to the lrf file format.
The problem with BookDesigner is that you need to have msword installed to open html, and since I use it through wine under linux, I have no wish to waste HD space to install msword.

I don't how good is a book when opening under html as opposed to pdf. I hope it isn't that different.

That said, you can always download one of the many books already formatted for the reader you can find here. That should give you a fair idea of the quality.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama77 View Post
I don't make em, i get them like that. I don't really have a choice.
If the PDF are not full of graphics, there are a lot of choices for converting to text so you can create proper books.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A small laptop, perhaps even the upcoming Asus Eee, would certainly be one option. Another is the Pepper Pad 3, which is great for PDFs and e-books (only limited by 7" 800x480 screen), see this recent pepper forum thread (which started out on performance and ended up on e-books and PDF). If an even smaller screen is ok, then the Everun (4.8" screen and Windows XP) might be an option - although it is more expensive than the already pricey Pepper Pad. Finally, a low cost LCD-based option with a slightly larger screen is the DT 375 tablet, which has been well covered at teleread see for example this post. Find more posts by searching for DT375 at the teleread main page.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Llama77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the PDF are not full of graphics, there are a lot of choices for converting to text so you can create proper books.
how would I go about converting, if I can convert, I will go back to Borders and give it a try.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
Llama77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
A small laptop, perhaps even the upcoming Asus Eee, would certainly be one option. Another is the Pepper Pad 3, which is great for PDFs and e-books (only limited by 7" 800x480 screen), see this recent pepper forum thread (which started out on performance and ended up on e-books and PDF). If an even smaller screen is ok, then the Everun (4.8" screen and Windows XP) might be an option - although it is more expensive than the already pricey Pepper Pad. Finally, a low cost LCD-based option with a slightly larger screen is the DT 375 tablet, which has been well covered at teleread see for example this post. Find more posts by searching for DT375 at the teleread main page.

those look nice, but just to expensive.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
how would I go about converting, if I can convert, I will go back to Borders and give it a try.
There is a free program called pdftohtml you could use to convert your PDF into HTML and then use Book Designer to format from there.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml/
Old 07-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
There are a number of tools available, here's a partial list to start you off.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
There are a number of tools available, here's a partial list to start you off.
But, what about PDF conversion tools? I know pdftohtml works, but if there are headers and footers, you have to edit them ALL out. I'm looking for a nice free solution that works well.