Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
alison87
alison87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
bad dates and incorrect periodical archiving from Calibre

I just got my Kindle 3G a couple days ago and have been playing round with Calibre to get it to handle all my daily news and blog reads. For the most part it works great, but there are a few weird things that i can't explain.

When i download news in the evening, the book is stored in Calibre as published on the current day, but it arrives on the Kindle as tomorrow's date. It's almost as if the Kindle has its date set to GMT/UTC instead of EST, because news transferred in the morning is fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a timezone setting i need to change on the Kindle itself or on amazon.com to fix it?

Edit: just checked my Kindle's 611 page and it is correctly showing -5h as my time offset, also Amazon's "Delivery Status" for my news downloads is also showing the correct date. So why is the date showing up wrong on the "main" screen?

The other thing that i'm struggling with is the Periodicals: Back Issues feature. It works fine if i only download news once a day, but several of the blogs i read are updated regularly so i download 2 or 3 times a day to get the latest entries. In those cases the NEW issue gets put into Periodicals: Back Issues, while the old copy remains in the "main" Kindle directory. Why does this happen? It's particularly annoying when combined with the timezone problem, because a late-night update will remain in the "main" directory the next morning, so it looks as if the morning news never downloaded (when actually it's hidden in the Periodicals: Back Issues directory). Is there any way to fix the timestamps in Calibre or fix the Kindle's behavior to always keep the latest news in the "main" directory?

Last edited by alison87; 02-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
alison87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
jesseb05
jesseb05 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I'm from Australia having the exact same issue. is there a known solution to this problem yet?
jesseb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert