Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Lightbulb Creating standard Mobi books tutorial (the easier way)

Hello. I've got my kindle almost a week ago and I was searching for ways to create mobi books in the way I want. I saw some tutorials here using Book Designer which is seems to take too long to make a good looking book.
I have an easier and faster way. All you need to know is a little microsoft word which I believe most of us are familiar with rather than learning a kind of special-purpose software like Book Designer.
Software needed:
Microsoft Word 2007/2010
Aspose (2mb) - http://www.aspose.com/community/file...try194468.aspx
Calibre - http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/pro...bre-0.7.43.msi

I haven't written a tutorial as you might have thought. Instead, I've recorded a video that shows you how to do it. You can watch the video and if you like it, you can try it yourself.
Video: http://ifile.it/ba0ods5

If it is any good, I hope this thread is made sticky.

Last edited by DMcCunney; 02-05-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Changed Aspose download link to point to Aspose site
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Hi medwatt. Welcome to MR. I'm not sure it is covered in the posting guidelines, but a lot of us are unwilling to download from anonymous links. Aside from that, Aspose is a commercial product which has its own site with a free download of its own, so supplying your own is possibly a copyright violation. Please point your link to the proper Aspose site.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you have Word (or OpenOffice) and Calibre, that's all you need. Save as HTML, then convert with Calibre (or Mobipocket Creator).

Sounds like a commercial for the Aspose software.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
excalibra
excalibra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am having trouble with converting word files (actually which are transformed from pdf to word) due to paragraph style, numbered&bulleted lists etc. I tried mobipocket creator and sigil,but both took too much time while editing the output piles in which paragraphs are not exactly like in the word file, converting to epub for editing with sigil was leaving indents at each paragraph start although I don't have it in the word format file.

Thank you for the tutorial, especially visual help is always better If aspose keeps the word file format as it is, I will try it today evening and write the result again.
excalibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Usually when converting pdf to word files, there are a lot of broken paragraphs like below:

I don't know how the place got by the health inspectors, because it stunk. There were two bums down at one end of the counter taking their time about finishing a ten-cent bowl of soup, making the most out of the free crackers and catsup in
front of them. Half-way down, a drunk concentrated between his plate of eggs and hanging on to the stool to keep from falling off the world. Evidently he was down to his last buck, for all his pockets had been turned inside out to locate the lone bill, that was putting a roof on his load.

I use a macro in word to correct such mistakes automatically. Macros are such good tools if you know how to write and use them.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
excalibra
excalibra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can you please give some macros to correct that broken paragraph example and also to correct 2 spaces(more than 1 space between 2 words) in a sentence?
excalibra is offline   Reply With Quote