Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
RachDvn
RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
[Old Thread] change default cover

Is there a way to change the default cover image? I have a custom cover I'd like files to have but it's too time comsuming to download using "edit metadata individually". I'd like to use "edit metadata in bulk" and select the ""generate default cover" option and have it pop my image in rather than Calibre's standard cover.

Thanks for any input,
Rach
RachDvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachDvn View Post
Is there a way to change the default cover image? I have a custom cover I'd like files to have but it's too time comsuming to download using "edit metadata individually". I'd like to use "edit metadata in bulk" and select the ""generate default cover" option and have it pop my image in rather than Calibre's standard cover.

Thanks for any input,
Rach
Just to make sure we are on the same score card
There are typically 3 covers (for books)
1) the publications cover (downloaded or contained in the package)
2) The generic 'Brown book' cover (no text)
3) The cover that is generated when the 'Generate...' button is pushed. Title- Author-Calibre version over the Library icon image. (BTW there are Font tweaks for this one)

So: #1 or #2 or #3 ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If they meant option 3 (which my reading of it was), the only way I could see to do it currently from the source code also means unfortunately replacing the default image of Calibre of "library.png" (see help page for how to do this).

I know I saw at least one open ticket a while ago for this though I recall it was requesting a more complex implementation allowing different covers for different genres (tags).

As an aside if they meant option 2, then the same "trick" applies of putting your own image named 'default_cover.png' into the custom images folder as per the help page link above. However that one is more "intended" behaviour.

Last edited by kiwidude; 02-05-2011 at 04:34 PM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
RachDvn
RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Kiwi, thanks so much! I'll play around with subbing both images and see which style I prefer. In general, scenario 3 is the option I had in mind

~Rach
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
LinLin
LinLin began at the beginning.

Device: MeBook, Nook
New to Calibre and would like to replace default brown covers with original covers. Don't have any idea of how to begin or end this process.

Please help!
Thanks
LinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinLin View Post
New to Calibre and would like to replace default brown covers with original covers. Don't have any idea of how to begin or end this process.
Try this bit of the Calibre manual and the Edit Metadata button
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Please help!
Thanks
Brown covers are shown in the Book Browser, when the import had no cover (declared?)

Select a fee 'brown cover' books.
Do a Bulk-Metadata edit.

(see screenshot)

If the cover remains brown (still no cover) or you see a generic 'Calibre Cover' , you could try to fing covers on the Internet using the 'Download Cover' button on the Metadata form. (I prefer to do this 1 at a time and hand pick (the first choice is 'existing') from what is available
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulk-cvr.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	71925  

Last edited by theducks; 05-27-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Resize imige smaller
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
RachDvn

Quote:
New to Calibre and would like to replace default brown covers with original covers.
Lin, when you say "original", do you mean the cover the book was originally published with, or a uniquely original cover designed by you? And do you want to change them individualy, in bulk, or automatically? Depending on what you need, Kiwi's suggestion to me worked brilliantly.

~Rach
Old 06-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
To carry this thread in a slightly different direction...

*Sometimes* when I change a cover, it doesn't seem to be actually being applied to the books metadata. By that I mean that the cover looks alright when viewed with the cover browser, but both ebook-viewer and my iPad show the original cover.

Is there a step I'm missing somewhere?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Changing the cover at the Metadata level does not actually embed the cover in the ebook file. When you send the ebook to the device if calibre can identify the cover image INSIDE the ebook file it will sunstitute the one you supplied.. However many eBooks to not have the cover clealy identified, and for these you have to run a conversion (even if it is to the same format) to actually embed the cover image in the flle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
However many eBooks to not have the cover clealy identified, and for these you have to run a conversion (even if it is to the same format) to actually embed the cover image in the flle.
Yes...! Thank You...! Works like a champ.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
Isurvey
Isurvey began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the information on changing the default cover image for generating a cover. This forum has all (almost ) of the answers in laymans terms for nonprogrammers like me.
Isurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Have you tried the generate cover plugin?
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
Have you tried the generate cover plugin?
Moderator Notice
Please do not reopen old threads to make new suggestions. In the three months since the last post in this thread calibre has been updated approximately 13 times. There are always new features or plugins that solve old problems. Reopening every old thread to inform folks would be an endless, mostly unproductive, endevour.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote