Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I bought a Kindle 3! Now, question...

Whee! I bought a wifi Kindle 3 and just got notice it shipped. Yay! Excitement! I am pretty sure I can get a good price on Craigslist for my Kindle 2 so I am ready to go.

Now, my question. The only Kindle book I have actually purchased was a French dictionary to replace the built in one. I am assuming I can use this on the Kindle 3 in the same way---just install it, set the preference to change the dictionary, and voila. But I am not sure where Amazon will have the book. Since it has been awhile since I last downloaded it, will it be in the archived items? Or if not there, where?

Also, how easy is it to get the wifi set up? I am using a Macbook with airport. I think I will only need the wifi to register the device (although Amazon indicated in the email that it would arrive already registered?) and to download the dictionary. Once these tasks are done, I plan to load books only using Calibre.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I can only answer part of your question, if you go to the "manage my kindle" page, you will find the dictionary there.

enjoy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
WiFi was a one-click + password breeze for me. Of course, if you have some sort of corporate encryption (I have WPA2), it might not work. Also note that K3 will not connect to AdHoc Networks. I'm pretty sure that an airport will do the job, but since I don't have one, I can't tell you for sure.

I don't think that the French dictionary will work as a primary dictionary, but then again, I only use the regular dictionary. I've never purchased another Kindle dictionary from Amazon (Didn't even know they sell them).
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Some folks have reported password problems with long keys that contained symbols and not just alphanumeric characters.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
If you get into your router and enter the Kindle's MAC ID in the accepted list of MAC IDs. I tried a zillion times to connect my new Kindle to Wifi, even with the simplest password using WPA2. Then, I went into my router (by typing in 192.169.1.1 for linksys, it would be different for yours.) I entered my Kindles MAC ID in the accepted list of IDs and it connected without a problem.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Agree with hellraiser06.

I do this with all my WiFi items. It is much easier to only allow items that you have entered the MAC address of into your router than go through all the WEP/WAP encryption.

Usually if you look at th eback of your router it will have it's IP address.

Open a internet window and type it in at the top.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! Kranu, the dictionary is one sold by Amazon as a replacement dictionary and it works fine on my K2. I wonder, can I side-load it, or must I use wireless in order for the Kindle to recognize it?

How does it do with something like Starbucks wifi where you don't need a password? Otoh if it comes already registered and I can sideload the dictionary, maybe I should just ignore the wifi and use Calibre as planned?

And what is the 'mac ID' of the Kindle and how do I find it?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The first time I went to connect wireless using the modem/router provided by my Internet Service Provider, I wrote down the WEP password on the label on the modem/router, entered in when asked to by the Kindle, and I was done. I've never had to enter the password again.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Thanks! Kranu, the dictionary is one sold by Amazon as a replacement dictionary and it works fine on my K2. I wonder, can I side-load it, or must I use wireless in order for the Kindle to recognize it?...
The issue is not whether or not the new Kindle will recognize it. The issue is whether the dictionary is locked with DRM (Digital Rights Management). You can sideload the dictionary, but if it was originally downloaded for the old Kindle it won't work on the new one if it has DRM.

Amazon's DRM is device specific. Sideloading a DRM'd book from one Kindle to another will not result in the book being readable or accessible on the new Kindle. You have to download a new copy from Amazon specifically for the new Kindle.

If the new Kindle is registered to the same Amazon account as the old one, you should be able to download the dictionary from the Archive there without having to purchase a new copy. This new download needs to be done either directly from the new Kindle or from a computer browser. If downloading from a computer, you must select the option to download and specifiy which registered Kindle device you are targeting. The DRM will be built and attached to the download specifically for the target Kindle device.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard

Cool. So, I bought it from Amazon and it is on my registered account, so I should be able to use it with the new Kindle. That's the only important thing!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
And what is the 'mac ID' of the Kindle and how do I find it?
On your Kindle press Menu then Settings.

At the bottom of the screen you will see Device Info.

It lists your Wi-Fi MAC Address. It is 12 alpha-numeric digits seperated by :

This is what you can use.

Brewjono.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
brewjono
Zealot

Also check out this thread:-

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=dictionary

There is a number of free, non-drm'ed translation dictionaries and also instructions on how to install them.

Brewjono.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I do this with all my WiFi items. It is much easier to only allow items that you have entered the MAC address of into your router than go through all the WEP/WAP encryption.
While I agree that MAC address filtering may be easier than configuring WPA or WEP, don't be fooled into thinking for one second that MAC address filtering alone is anywhere near being "secure."

But if you're not all that concerned about the security of your wireless network, yeah, it's a fairly easy configuration.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-25-2011 at 04:43 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I'm reasonably proficient with routers and computers. But I didn't know you could bypass WEP/WPA security by using MAC addresses. Or am I missing something?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm reasonably proficient with routers and computers. But I didn't know you could bypass WEP/WPA security by using MAC addresses. Or am I missing something?
You can't. They've obviously turned off wireless encryption entirely and are just relying on MAC address filtering alone. It's better than a wide open wireless network... but not by very darn much.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote