Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
darthreader13
darthreader13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Screen protectors

i was thinking about getting a screen protector for my new Kindle, to keep the screen from getting scratched or what not. do you guys use anything like that or do you think this is necessary. A local place near me has a brand called "M-Edge", not sure if it's worth spending the money on this.

If any of you guys has screen protectors on your Kindle. Does this make the screen dim or darker, maybe not as easy to read?
darthreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have a Boxwave NON-glare screen protector. It may be overkill but I've tended to protect most of the lcd (and kindle) screens on my devices. I hike, bike and cross-country ski so my cameras, phone and gps are protected from the normal dust and grit that I may encounter. I guess I decided the huge size of the K3 screen compared to those other devices also deserved protection.

Besides, more than once when I have showed the k3 to others, they tend to want to "touch-screen" (a new verb) it and swipe a finger across its screen. This way it is protected.

While I imagine it does tend to alter the natural glow (g) of the unprotected screen I've either grown use to it or it does not impair the screen much.

I think you will find most people do not use them.

Enjoy your new kindle.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
A sturdy cover would be enough. The screen is then protected and it really doesn't need a screen protector.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
A sturdy cover would be enough. The screen is then protected and it really doesn't need a screen protector.
Agreed. Given that there's no reason to ever touch the Kindle's screen, there's absolutely no reason for it to get scratched. It's generally devices which has a stylus that are likely to get scratched screens. Keep the Kindle in a cover and it'll be absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
All of my 'screen-having' portable devices are protected with protectors. Camera, GSM, Kindle, Netbook. The scratches have a tendency to appear no matter how accurately we handle the devices.

As for a Kindle - please use matte non-glare protectors because the glossy one have a very disturbing glares when reading at night with attached (or separate) light. Also fingerprints are much visible on glossy screens.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I have screen protectors on my iphone and camera LCD's, but as most of my kindle use is indoors and i have a good cover it doesn't bother me that i don't have one for it. Also wouldn't like to risk using anything that might alter the lovely screen clarity i have with the Kindles ...
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
All of my 'screen-having' portable devices are protected with protectors. Camera, GSM, Kindle, Netbook. The scratches have a tendency to appear no matter how accurately we handle the devices.
You must treat your hand-held devices rather harshly . I've been using such devices since the 1980s and have never scratched a screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote