Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
stevensavile
Enthusiast
stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.

Device: sony
Two New Releases - Maybe More To Come?

Rather than clutter up a dozen threads with the new indie releases I figured on doing a one-stop shop... there's method to my madness. Honest.

Over the last 10 years I've sold almost 750,000 books in 12 languages at the last count - this is my day job. It's the only job I am remotely qualified to do, and the only one I can imagine doing for more than a week without going postal... now, last year I wrote a novel London Macabre which I think, after 20 books and lots of trying is just about perfect. My agent described it as the bastard love child of Neil Gaiman and Philip Pullman. It's sold into hardcover in Poland, but in the UK and US every editor has come back saying 'This is amazing, but we have no idea how to sell it' and the senior editor of one of the very biggest publishing houses in the UK actually suggested I self pub it because it's got all the makings of a cult book. I'm seriously considering it, I'll be honest, but my ebook sales are poor in contrast to my bricks and mortar bookstore sales. So I'm doing something a bit different. I've put up a handful of new indie releases direct to kindle, including some unpublished material to test the waters... if there's enough of a response I will seriously consider going 'all indie' and taking control of my career in a very different way... success or failure though will be down to reaching readers in a way I haven't had to try before. Before I could just rely upon the books being in B&N and Borders and Waterstones etc... so it's a bit scary.

Anyway, the two new releases are, in no particular order:

Gods and Monsters:

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-and-Monst...t_at_ep_dpi_10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gods-and-Mon...4330650&sr=1-4

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34631

Steven Savile shocks us with three tales of gods, ghosts and golems. He expertly guides us down the path man will take—or perhaps has already taken—in his quest to breathe life into his own soulless creations. But this can only be accomplished by committing the ultimate sin… murder.

The murder of God.

The Forgetting Wood

http://www.amazon.com/The-Forgetting...4330787&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Forgetti...4330678&sr=1-6

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34545
The Complete Hoke Berglund Stories:

The death of a beloved children's writer, Hoke Berglund, draws Jon Sieber into a world he cannot hope to understand - a world filled with Hoke's creations, including the vile Mr. Self Affliction who is the cruel master of this place. In a world where angels are beautiful women and the by-blows of nightmares people the mythical Forgetting Wood, Jon, heir apparent to all that Hoke created, falls for Kristen, the writer's daughter, but cannot let her secret remain secret.

They're both very different in nature... one almost mythic, one almost fairy tale... The Forgetting Wood is my absolute favourite piece of writing ever, and I really hope some of you will take a gamble on it, and let me know what you think of it.

Of course the other books in my sig are still there, begging to be read... so... I'm on the precipice... ready to leap... gimme the encouragement I need.

Steve
stevensavile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This may not be the wisest choice in terms of marketing each individual work. MobileRead is now set up to handle author/promoters who wish to promote individual titles.

If you elect to combine 3 titles as you have done, then you only have one thread, whereas you are entitled to three. Any future additions, promotions, schemes, freebies, etc. must be in this one thread.

My suggestion - and, again, this is your decision - is to create 3 individual threads, one for each title - and then I will delete this thread.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
stevensavile
Enthusiast
stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.

Hmmm

I was worried about being spammy... Lots of topics originating with my name on them felt rather crass, you know? But this is your house, tis an easy enough change if it suits the house style. This whole self-promotion thing is still something of an anathema to me, to be honest...
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Don't worry about appearing to be spammy. Just as long as Mobileread is not outright spammed. (Here are examples of being spammed: Creating more than one thread for one book, mindless bumping of one's thread.)

We Moderators are making sure that the authors stay on track. They receive PM's and reminders about the appropriateness of posting. If they continue to ignore our PM's, then a temporary ban may be imposed. I want to add that MOST authors abide by the rules, and they understand that more important than "The Promotion of My Book" is the IDEA OF COMMUNITY. Our readers, too, are very savvy about spammy posts, and abandon the thread if they sense that an author is here to merely (and only) "Promote." Fortunately, these types of authors are very, very few.

Here's the SECRET of a successful thread: the author and the readers join in to make a discussion and the thread acquires a life of its own. Unfortunately, only a handful of author/promoters fully understand this concept. So how does one become a part of a community? Join in on discussions, offer opinions, create ideas, and so much more.

A link to our Posting Guidelines is located at the top of every page. If you have any concerns, please send me a PM.

I would also encourage you to take advantage of our two Shameless threads, where frequent posting is obligatory:

1) One is for ebooks.
2) This one is for blogs/website/reviews.

Above all: Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-06-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
stevensavile
Enthusiast

Cheers

Thanks Don, as I said, there's this weird etiquette thing that despite what people say, I've not really had to deal with much as a traditional author - the best promotion has always been simply having the books in stores. This is a whole new world. Really, obviously, my hope is people will check out the ebook, or the freebie that was listed a couple of months ago, for instance, and then stick around and chat. I'm actually a compulsive internet user - it's work displacement therapy. But it rather feels like you put something up and then it's ghost town time. So the last thing I want to do is set up 3-4 ghost towns... but with your permission, I'll do just that (after I've caught up on Human Target) and in each, I hope people will come in and throw fruit

In the meantime, thanks for being cool with a relative newbie - I may *look* like a hit and run poster, but I check in 3-4 times a day at least heh...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
My agent described it as the bastard love child of Neil Gaiman and Philip Pullman
That sounds pretty interesting to me.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
stevensavile
Enthusiast

interesting

Thanks Caleb - for once I just sat down and wrote out the idea in my head and didn't really think 'oh, how do I make this commercially viable' which I have done in the past. As a result, I think LM is by far the most adventurous thing I've ever done - and the common response from NYC has been 'This is awesome but we're not really sure how we can differentiate it in the market place' - and that's a direct quote from 3 separate editors, same words... differentiate it in the market place. But obviously I need to build some sort of ebook audience to make indie-releasing it worthwhile... hence trying to connect with readers who might be curious/interested.