Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
nookleus
Small and Dense
nookleus has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook Color
Can't select a particular word to highlight or lookup on NC

Hello all.

I am reading the epub Far from the Madding Crowd from Project Gutenberg, and I have discovered that the word "Laodicean" in the first chapter cannot be selected for highlighting or lookup, even on the largest font setting. The surrounding words do not have this problem.

Do words have to be in the dictionary to be selected? Or could there be something in the file itself that is interfering?
nookleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Probably something in the file itself. I've selected words that the dictionary doesn't have, and the popup box just states it is not in the dictionary. But you should be able to select the word. Was there any special formatting for the word "Laodicean"? BTW, Laodicea was a first-century city in Asia-minor (modern day Turkey I think), so the word might refer to a citizen of Laodicea.
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
nookleus
Small and Dense

Thanks for the reply. It looks to be formatted exactly like the surrounding words, unless it is wrapped in some unsupported tag (and that's why it's not recognized for selecting.)

I'll open up the file later on and see what I can see.

Last edited by nookleus; 01-03-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
nookleus
Small and Dense

Did not have time to investigate the Gutenberg file, but I downloaded another version and I am now able to select the word. My conclusion is that there is a problem with the markup in the earlier file.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for the update!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert