Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
my personal review of asus dr-900

so I had the opportunity to play a bit with this device and I can say some things..

I'm an irex dr800 owner and the first thing I noticed strange is the screen ..
the screen is really plastic on the top, differently by e-ink ones that is glass-made usually..
it really seems the same plastic of the borders..
and the background color that is really gray..
much more gray than the dr800 for instance..
the device should do various things.. the most important one being to let read some documents..
it has a fixed zoom system..
I mean you can chose between 100% 125% etc..
or fit width, or fit screen..
unforunately when you display less than a page on the screen they did the usual big mistake that if you press to go on you show the next page top not the rest of the current page
in other words zoom is not usable at all.. or maybe if you pan with the fingers.. didn't test
the capacitatative screen does not work very well
it misses some touches etc..
the characters of a pdf file are showed in a very strange manner..
in the way that marcor showed in his video..
on the positive side I have to say that turning page (but only when not zoomed) is quite fast..

..now I have to go by now..
.. to be continued later..

Last edited by repods; 12-18-2010 at 04:58 PM.
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
What color is the text - black or dark gray? If the text is black, for me a darker background would be ok - it would have better contrast than a lighter screen that has dark gray text.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Thanks for sharing your impressions with us, repods.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
What color is the text - black or dark gray? If the text is black, for me a darker background would be ok - it would have better contrast than a lighter screen that has dark gray text.
well I would say black.. but not all of them..
some seems defective in some way.. you clearly can see the pixels.. they seems traslucid..
I think it's some defect in showing the gray, not black, part of text..
it's not easy to explain
you should see it to understand..

Last edited by repods; 12-18-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
It seems like a negative impression. I may probably go for the PocketBook 902 at this piont, but i like the design of dr-900...sigh...
repods,where is the video??

Last edited by CalvinL; 12-18-2010 at 04:51 PM.
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
repods
Addict

so.. continuing the review..
there is, as Marcor said, some wrong behaviour when turning the pages..
it sometimes hangs.. if you press again it still hangs.. but after a while it shows the forth page next for instance..
the sketch pad works quite well..
I did not test the browser
the mp3 player should work but I didn't test
another issue I noticed could exist about the battery..
infact in just 20 minutes of continuous usage it went down from 40 to 30 %.. a bit too fast if you consider.. maybe it is just some "first charge" problem ?
so conclusively I have to say that the device shows a software in a very beta stage.. or maybe alpha to be honest.. that I think can be fixed with some (more than one I mean) firmware updates..
but if my tech eye is not wrong I suspect that there is an unfixable problem related to the power of the cpu..
I think they used an underpowered cpu that can't manage the screen touches etc.. efficently..
so at the moment I could say that the device can only be used just to read books if you don't zoom them..

btw
I did not test any large epub or pdf book.. only the pdf user guide of the device..

Last edited by repods; 12-18-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinL View Post
It seems like a negative impression. I may probably go for the PocketBook 902 at this piont, but i like the design of dr-900...sigh...
repods,where is the video??
look at eeepc.it
Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Found it.
Still not quite satisfied yet...
We got dr900, kindle DX and PB 902 in the market so far, repods, would you recommend this one?
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post

I'm an irex dr800 owner and the first thing I noticed strange is the screen ..
the screen is really plastic on the top, differently by e-ink ones that is glass-made usually..
thats from the capacitive layer being laminated to the top of the glass. it is glass underneath
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinL View Post
Found it.
Still not quite satisfied yet...
We got dr900, kindle DX and PB 902 in the market so far, repods, would you recommend this one?
well.. I personally was unsure between dr900 and pb902.. thinking even of buying both.. but from what I saw personally the dr900 can wait.. at least till they make it usable..
the kindle dx has never been a choice for me for the closed software reason etc.. but I understand that maybe from the hardware side it can be maybe the best.. but hardware without software is nothing..

another device of what I'm curious of as a reader is the asus eee note 800 when it will be out.. but from the videos around it seems they used a glossy screen !
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
thats from the capacitive layer being laminated to the top of the glass. it is glass underneath
good to know..
btw.. the anti-glare treatment seemed to me very good even because of this plastic layer..

Last edited by repods; 12-18-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
well.. I personally was unsure between dr900 and pb902.. thinking even of buying both.. but from what I saw personally the dr900 can wait.. at least till they make it usable..
the kindle dx has never been a choice for me for the closed software reason etc.. but I understand that maybe from the hardware side it can be maybe the best.. but hardware without software is nothing..

another device of what I'm curious of as a reader is the asus eee note 800 when it will be out.. but from the videos around it seems they used a glossy screen !
Yes, the hardware of the Kindle DX is what's keeping me undecided. If the PB 903 had the new Pearl screen, I'd pick it up without thinking. As it is, I'm leaning toward the Pocketbook devices for a large screen reader.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
The video review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqyNq36hlJQ) the first retail one I guess, dos not do the real justice to the device.

I have several issues with that:
* There is no review of epub ebook (no info on font types, sizes, margin settings etc.)
* The statement about "very grey" background should be made based on other device's display (like VizPlex or Pearl) and not by comparing to whitened book paper
* The "strange looking fonts" mentioned while showing manual PDF file made me lmao! What the guy was referring to was a bitmap embeded into the PDF file! No wonder the standard compression made the pixels "looking strange" on it...
* No settings menu and its contents were showed - I really was very eager to see what kind of potential lies there (if any )
* No info on how the bookmarks or import/export would work
* Search and tagging features were also skiped
* Maybe I'm wrong, but to my best knowledge Wacom pens do not work with capacitive displays - it is not a point against DR 900 the tested four of those wouldn't work...

Anyway, here's couple of things I managed to digg out meanwhile:

That is really uncool (the box on the left, the real device on the right)

There is a new nice feature in a recent FW - handwriting recognition!

I am really looking forward to more like the last And for a really professional review/video

Last edited by AdamV; 12-19-2010 at 03:41 PM.
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
so I had the opportunity to play a bit with this device and I can say some things..
Hi, is the DR900 available now? Is it released for general sale?

The device looks mighty slow. Possibly uses a 400mhz Arm processor.
My iliad was quite slow too and it used a similar processor.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Hi, is the DR900 available now? Is it released for general sale?

The device looks mighty slow. Possibly uses a 400mhz Arm processor.
My iliad was quite slow too and it used a similar processor.
I too would be curious to know what processor it uses..