Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Can't access book after attemted search on prs-350 :(

Hi, I have a reoccurring issue I would love some help with on my prs-350. I am using it to read my oreilly.com technical books, have not touched anything from the sony store. On any of these books, if I hit search and put in a term, not only does it not find anything, it ends up giving me a "page error". I am not able to get back into the book even after multiple reboots of the unit, and it appears that I have to delete and reinstall the book to regain access. As you can imagine this entire process is disheartening as...

1) I had no idea search would be restricted to books in the sony book store. I have the same books on my kindle in .mobi format that there is no search issue

2) Even if search does not work, why would it effectively lock me out of the book?

3) reinstalling is not a trivial task when you bought the unit to read on the go and you have to be in front of your computer (no wife/3g) to download the book, which appears to be the only way to solve the issue.

I was hoping someone who had an oreilly.com epub could chime in. I know this is a little like the joke "doctor my arm hurts when I move it like that" doctor "don't move it like that" but never searching again should not be the only solution to this.

thank you very much for listening, I am a little disheartened by sony (only the help of a forum member here making a python script enabled the toc in these oreilly books for me),
I mean, this should not be happening, even if the books are not from the sony store, correct?
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The search does work, I use it quite regularly, including O'Reilly books. However, I read EPUB versions. I wonder if you're reading PDFs? Maybe there is something special about them... I suggest you to contact O'Reilly with the details, maybe they can debug it with you.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
There is a yellow info leaflet with the reader, entitled "Note on browsing PDF documents using the Reader," which contains interesting details on using PDFs... one point specifically deals with viewing PDFs in any size other than S and states that functions such as highlighting, searching or temporary word selection may not work correctly. It's worth a read...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Thanks guys nope these are the epubs not pdf's that I rightfully purchased and downloaded from the oreilly.com site. The only thing I don't know...I am using linux so I am not using any sony software to put them on the device, I just put them in the top level folder that appears as "reader" on my pc and then when I detach the 350 it show "new" and I can see and select the book.
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I suspect it's something unusual about this particular file... You might ask for an exchange of the book.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert