Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
diy
diy began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Quick way to change orientation

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and new to ereaders, Anyway, I bought a prs 505 that has a defective screen at the upper right corner about 1 inch by 1.5 inches. This means I cant see the full screen for about 7 lines of the document. If I change the orientation to landscape I can read those lines then change back to portrait to read the rest of the page, I have to repeat this each time I change page. I have 2 questions. 1) is there a way of assigning a button to change orientation? 2) Is there anyway I can chage display so the first 1 inch at the top isnt used? I'm looking around for a bricked 505 so I can replaced the screen but dont really want to spend a lot since there is rumour of products coming out 1st quarter of next year with miralos screens. If you have any solution or a dead 505 let me know. Thanks
Diy
diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
welcome to the forum.

Having a defective screen is bad news for the Sony reader and changing the screen is a scary task needing special testing equipment to get it setup properly (from what I've read).

Best bet - act now before 11/27 and go to a retail Sonystyle store. Trade in your 505 for $75 credit toward a new one -- now at reduced prices. The new Model 650 will cost about $125 and will give a much nicer screen than the 505.

see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107436
good luck!

Last edited by gardenstate; 11-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
welcome to the forum.

Having a defective screen is bad news for the Sony reader and changing the screen is a scary task needing special testing equipment to get it setup properly (from what I've read).

Best bet - act now before 11/27 and go to a retail Sonystyle store. Trade in your 505 for $75 credit toward a new one -- now at reduced prices. The new Model 650 will cost about $125 and will give a much nicer screen than the 505.

see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107436
good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion and welcome, changing the screen looks straightforward, its just a case of unpluging the ribbon cable and inserting the replacement, I dont think the tradin that you mention applies in the UK but I wouldnt have done that anyway since ereaders with colour inks will be coming on the market in the new year
Old 11-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Do tell... or just more rumours, manufacturers' claims etc. I'd love to see such a device but so far all vapourware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and welcome, changing the screen looks straightforward, its just a case of unpluging the ribbon cable and inserting the replacement, I dont think the tradin that you mention applies in the UK but I wouldnt have done that anyway since ereaders with colour inks will be coming on the market in the new year
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
On the 505 you can press and hold the zoom button (loupe with + inside) to change orientation.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
On the 505 you can press and hold the zoom button (loupe with + inside) to change orientation.
Thanks for that Igorsk, just what I've been looking for, I dont suppose there is a trick for turning the screen 180 degrees? that would completely solve my issue.

diy
Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, the simple answer is no... and so is the complex one, it's been looked at extensively over the years and conclusion is that not possible...

Quote:
Thanks for that Igorsk, just what I've been looking for, I dont suppose there is a trick for turning the screen 180 degrees? that would completely solve my issue.

diy
Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
I dont suppose there is a trick for turning the screen 180 degrees? that would completely solve my issue.
Not with the standard-firmware.
But I patched ebook.so, so that every hold-magnifier rotates the screen 90° to the left. Kartu will include this feature in the forthcoming PRS+ v.2.0.x for PRS-505.
@ elcreative: I hope you are not too disapointed

Meanwhile you may install PRS+ 1.1.3 and use this script to enabel the feature.
prsp.sh
Code:
# echo "Hello World">>/Data/hello.log
cp /Data/ebook.so /tmp
mount --bind /tmp/ebook.so /opt/sony/ebook/application/ebook.so
Alternative I can patch the file in a way, that it will switch between normal and mirrored, but then you can't rotate 90° any longer.

Quote:
2) Is there anyway I can chage display so the first 1 inch at the top isnt used?
Depends on the fileformat you are reading.
If the file isn't DRMed you should be able to tweak the margins.
keywords to search:
calibre
UserStyle.css

Last edited by Mark Nord; 11-20-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
elcreative
Wizard

But as a key person on the Sony Dev front, you have been part of the "can't be done" so my info was accurate at time of typing. If you will insist on continuously improving things then I can't be held responsible for dated data. Keep up the good work for us all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Not with the standard-firmware.
But I patched ebook.so, so that every hold-magnifier rotates the screen 90° to the left. Kartu will include this feature in the forthcoming PRS+ v.2.0.x for PRS-505.
@ elcreative: I hope you are not too disapointed