Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Connect updates?

Has anyone heard any rumors about any upcoming updates to the Connect software or prs500 firmware? It's been over 8 months since the initial software and so far we have seen one small bug fix for both the reader and the connect software. That's a pretty long time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There were some right after the first update, but they seem to have faded out, I haven't dug up any fresh ones since then, myself.

In all fairness though, the first one was ~5 Months after launch, and it's only been ~2.5 months since then, that's not really all that slow an update schedule ... unless you're comparing it to iRex's.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
A lot depends on how you view the product. If the product is comparable to Apple's iPod/iTunes (roughly once every two months), then Sony's update cycle is very slow indeed. It's not like connect is mature software, or there aren't any bugs or obvious enhancements.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
On the other hand, apple's update schedule simply shows that they're not willing or maybe not capable of fixing all the bugs at one time. Perhaps Sony is being more cautious and working on a much more significant upgrade.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
On the other hand, apple's update schedule simply shows that they're not willing or maybe not capable of fixing all the bugs at one time. Perhaps Sony is being more cautious and working on a much more significant upgrade.
Very true. Eg, after four months, there STILL isn't a version of iTunes which works with Windows Vista. At least Sony were quick off the mark with a Vista-capable version of Connect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Sadly, I believe Sony sole purpose in providing a firmware update was to prevent more hacks like that of igorsk... to prevent access to certain folders... Now that that's done we will not see nor hear anything from them anymore.
I sure hope to be found wrong.. when their next update will roll with support for mac and linux, and simple way to add fonts... I will buy a hat and eat it too .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There IS a simple way to add fonts. You can embed whatever fonts you want in an LRF or PDF file.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I tried that. But then the pages load ever so slow...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
texag
texag began at the beginning.

I can't believe the comparison with the Connect Store and Itunes. Itunes has functioned just about perfectly from Day 1. You never heard the complaints like you hear on this site about the Connect Store.

Also, when the Itunes store updates, it is usually to add features or functionality.

Let's remember that Sony still hasn't provided any Mac support...at all...since the Reader was launched.

Also, there has been an update for Itunes that addresses most Vista issues and allows you to sync your Ipod. Still a few issues, but it is workable. Here's the link:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042
texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag
I can't believe the comparison with the Connect Store and Itunes. Itunes has functioned just about perfectly from Day 1. You never heard the complaints like you hear on this site about the Connect Store.
The "Connect" store is what? About 8 months old? Compare it with "iTunes" when it was 8 months old and I think you'll find the comparison is rather favourable. At that time, iTunes was US-only, single-platform, with a very small content. Rather similar, in fact, to what Connect is now. Let's wait and see what "Connect" is like in, say, 5 years time. Then we'll be able to make a sensible comparison.

Quote:
Also, when the Itunes store updates, it is usually to add features or functionality.
Connect did add significant functionality at the 1.1 update. One very significant feature it added, for those of us who are creating content for the Reader, is the full-screen "preview" mode. Now you can sensible read LRF files on the PC rather than having to load them on the Reader to see how they'll look. That's a massive feature when you're creating books.

Quote:
Let's remember that Sony still hasn't provided any Mac support...at all...since the Reader was launched.
I'm afraid there are lots of products out there which don't have Mac support - it's a minority market. My Pocket PC doesn't support the Mac. Palms don't support the Mac. My Canon digital SLR camera doesn't. That's why I have both a Mac and a PC. If you have only a Mac, you can pick up a 2nd hand PC running XP for peanuts on eBay, etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
I would estimate that half of iTunes' updates in the last year or two are to add new features.

Sony's commitment to the Connect store and software is pitiful. There are so many things that could be improved that by not putting out any significant updates in nine months they have shown they don't really care about the platform in my opinion. They put out something just good enough to get by.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
My Canon digital SLR camera doesn't
Are you sure?
(well it is off top and you don't have to answer )
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The software which lets me control all the camera's settings, etc, I think is Windows only. I could be wrong, however - I tend to use my PC rather than my Mac for that sort of thing, so it's possible I overlooked it .
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I use PC only, but I thought there was a mac option on my canon's slr CD. I could be wrong though. Will have a look at the CD tonight, just out of curiosity
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
texag
texag began at the beginning.

Harry,

I use a Canon SLR and it works flawlessly on the Mac. Might have some fun exploring that.
texag is offline   Reply With Quote