Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
question on dragging word docs into sony

Ok, so i'm experimenting a bit with dragging word docs into the sony reader.
The text appears fine, and as I understand it, the sony reader merely converts them into RTF.

My question is: what happens to headers and footers in a word document? I dont mean footnotes; i mean title/author/page information when they appear in headers and footers at top or bottom of a word document page (just like in a book page).

Do headers and footers vanish in the conversion to rtf? (It appears so, but i just wanted to verify).

Also: if they vanish on the reader: is there some other way to get a word doc that has headers and footers to retain those when viewing on the sony? Pdf format (requiring tiresome zooming)?

What i'd ideally like to see, is changing the "page mode" view on the sony to 'margin cut' to read just the text (ie, to NOT display header/footer); and when I need to see header/footer/original page number, to then change view to "original page" on the sony to SEE the header/footer. I suppose thats asking too much for now? ...

Thanks for any help or thoughts...
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Huh. I never noticed that my headers weren't being kept.

To rule out one tool, I used Atlantis to create an EPUB from a DOC that has a header, and Atlantis also created the EPUB without the headers. Just an FYI.

I hope someone with the answer will show up soon.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

most of the discussion out there on this topic is about how to eliminate the header/footer (most people want to just read the text). However that wont work for me most of the time -- i'm digitizing schoolbooks and i need the original page number information contained in the headers or footers. I need to be able to see that in my ebook.

For now, converting my jpegs to (ocr'ed) pdf is the only way i can see as far as retaining that information in the ebook.

the pdf retains full page pic, but a) isnt as lightweight a file, b) i was hoping for the header/footer to be 'out of the way of the text' while reading, and hoping to be able to 'summon' that information on command... pdfs wont allow that, the header/footer (sometimes obtrusively) is visible in between the pages as you read.

but at least its there, i guess. Hope someone has a better idea than pdf though.

Thing is, if ebooks ever hope to become useful in education market, they will have standardize a way of showing/not-showing headers, footers, and footnotes (and live-linking footnotes) -- and make that easy to produce (for instance, one click conversions from a word doc will be a *must*). I think we still have a loooong way to go unfortunately.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
ebooker
Banned

i also wonder if anyone has experimented with "image over text" and "text over image" pdf's, if they work well on the sony reader...

the advantage of those pdfs is that you always have the original page right there as a pic, but the text should still 'reflow' nicely as well. In theory anyway.

I'd hate to spend $200 bucks on the pro version of abbyy to find out... but hoping someone out there has already attempted this...