Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Newspaper issues/comments

Trying the 14 day trials and it's interesting, not a bad experience but a couple of issues:

With the National Post when you click on "return to article list" the activity circle spins then it hangs until you press the d-pad (doesn't matter which part), then it goes to the article list and hangs again until you press the d-pad and then opens the menu. This doesn't happen on the Globe and Mail. Very annoying and makes it hard to read.

A few other things I'd like to see changed: it would be reeeaaaaalllllly nice to have a way to delete read papers on the Kobo itself (I haven't found it anyway). I am accumulating previous days papers in the I'm reading list.
It would be nice to have a way to force it to check for updates (if you don't have automatic checking on or if you aren't near your network at the appointed time).
It would be nice if when you finished an article and clicked on back to article list it would go to the page you were on (i.e. not go back to the 1st page of the article list if the one you picked was on the 4th page and force you to scroll thru the other 3 pages again.).

One other thing (not sure if it's good or bad) is that if you want to resize on the newspapers you have to use the side menu button and go into the display menu. The up/down is used to scroll between options on the screen so it doesn't re-size the newspaper.

Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
pli
pli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
i tried to shop for newspaper on my kobo wireless but it says that it is still unavailable in my area... is this service only available in N.America and Canada? It doesnt even appear on the kobobooks.com for me or on the desktop application?
pli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
evilmonkey
evilmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I was only able to make the newsstand appear correctly on the website using a proxy to fool it into thinking I was in the US instead of New Zealand. Seems to be a bit of an oversight to not mention it in the press release.
evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I hope they can get some non-North American choices going soon, but right now, it's heavy in Canadian newspapers with a few US resources available as well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
pli
pli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
thanks for the tip evilmonkey, and i can see the newsstand now. very exciting indeed. I wonder why they cant just release it to everyone (internationally), especially cuz the kindle 3 can access newspaper and magazine subscriptions here. hopefully theyll open it to international access soon!
pli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert