Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
toddyl
toddyl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Help -- Where to start?

Hi,

I was in the US in early February on holiday and saw the Sony Portable Reader and was impressed. At the time I was visiting my brother who is working there for a year. He and the rest of my family chipped in and purchased one for my birthday recently. It was shipped from the US to me in Ireland.

When I got it I was delighted but was very quickly dismayed -- the Connect Store is only for US customers . I looked on the web and there are lots of free eBooks but most of these are old titles (Project Gutenburg) or sites for individual authors. I searched on commercial sites but eBooks etc. do not seem to support Sony's proprietary format (dont get me started on this ) nor am I sure if I can download the PDF's from here and transfer them to my Reader as I read about DRM'ed (I think its called) PDF files.

Can anyone please point me to a site where I can get the latest books from and which will work on my Reader. Or is there a tool which will allow me to convert downloaded books from these commercial sites into the appropriate format.

Thanks for your help,

Toddyl
toddyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If you're into Sci-Fi, try Baen books:
http://www.baen.com/library/
http://www.webscription.net/
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
All their books have an RTF version which works on the Reader without any conversion.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
If you're into Sci-Fi, try Baen books:
http://www.baen.com/library/
http://www.webscription.net/
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
All their books have an RTF version which works on the Reader without any conversion.
Agreed 100% - Baen are wonderful. And, if you want to be able to see all the pictures on the Reader (lots of Baen's books have things like useful maps in them), just convert from RTF to LRF with "Book Designer" (which only takes a minute to do a basic conversion).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Have your brother buy you gift credits at Connect and reimburse him. If he lives in the States he can do that for you.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Or, alternatively, "Leaping Gnome", on this forum, very kindly offers to buy people "Connect" gift certificates; you just pay him by PayPal. Send him a PM if you're interested and he'll sort it out for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert