Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Combining similar titles when importing

Sometimes, especially when comparing different versions of the same book, I want the same title to have apparently duplicate entries in my Calibre library. Then I'll change the tags somehow to make them distinctive. This only works if I go into Preferences and uncheck the box for automatically combining similar titles.

If that box is unchecked, then Calibre asks me if I want to import duplicates. So far, so good. The problem is that I can't at that point say:

Yes, combine into one entry; or,
Yes, but import as separate entries; or,
No, don't import duplicates

That's a tweak I would really appreciate having.

In a related vein...

For a while, there was a nice feature, if you had duplicate entries in the library, where you could right-click on a couple of same titles and select an option to merge the entries. The feature seems to have gone away. Has it been removed? Or have I just misplaced it?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
For a while, there was a nice feature, if you had duplicate entries in the library, where you could right-click on a couple of same titles and select an option to merge the entries. The feature seems to have gone away. Has it been removed? Or have I just misplaced it?
You misplaced it, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merge.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	59091  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You misplaced it, see attached.
Doh! Under Edit metadata. Of course!

Wouldn't that more logically go under the main right-click menu? It seems like more of a "file operation" than a metadata operation, at least to me.

Thanks for pointing me to it.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Wouldn't it be better in the 'Similar books' sub menu?
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Quote:
Wouldn't that more logically go under the main right-click menu? It seems like more of a "file operation" than a metadata operation, at least to me.
Wouldn't it be better in the 'Similar books' sub menu?
Even though it is true that files do get moved or deleted it seems to me that the action primarily merges the metadata between the two book entries in the metadata.db (database) file to make one book. Thus the reason it hides is placed in the edit metadata menu.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Doh! Under Edit metadata. Of course!

Thanks for pointing me to it.
That Merge is an "after the fact" menu type operation.

The operations in the "Add" menu (Nit: the button bar is the "Main Menu") are "before the fact" (added to DB) type items.
Seems logical in this context
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

You guys are thinking like programmers, not users.

From a user's perspective (a nonprogrammer-user), you highlight a couple of book titles, you right-click, and on that primary context menu, you look for a way to merge two files into one entry. "Similar books" is more intuitive than "edit metadata," but an entry directly in the primary context menu makes the most sense to me. It's on a similar level to save, send, convert, etc.

I wasn't talking about the top menu (button) bar at all.

In any case, this is a secondary nitpick. My initial point was, why when adding similar titles (e.g.., identical titles in different formats) can't we have a dialogue box that gives us a choice of whether to merge into one entry or keep in separate entries?

Last edited by starrigger; 09-30-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You mean this setting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Merge.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	59112  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You mean this setting?
That's the setting that prompted my query. Take another look at my initial post and let me know if I was unclear about the issue.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
My initial point was, why when adding similar titles (e.g.., identical titles in different formats) can't we have a dialogue box that gives us a choice of whether to merge into one entry or keep in separate entries?
Since I wrote it to solve a specific problem I was having, I'll answer.

If you're adding a few books, either drag them into the edit metadata screen for an existing book, or just drag them into the main GUI, tell Calibre to add any duplicate titles it finds and Merge together the duplicate titles you want merged (or don't merge if that's your preference). That's why I wrote Merge.

The option you're asking about (referred to by me as the "autosort/automerge" option due to the long name that's next to that option box <grin>) was designed for when you're adding lots of books, not just a few. In that case, you don't want to have to Merge manually, so you turn the option on.

Similarly, if you're adding lots of books, you don't want to have to answer "a dialogue box that gives us a choice of whether to merge into one entry or keep in separate entries" dozens of times. Turning on the option is the global answer to that question, and turning it off and Merging (or not) is not much more work for just a few books.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
You guys are thinking like programmers, not users.

From a user's perspective (a nonprogrammer-user), you highlight a couple of book titles, you right-click, and on that primary context menu, you look for a way to merge two files into one entry.
I was looking in the context menu as well, but at least there is a keystroke for it: M.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I was looking in the context menu as well, but at least there is a keystroke for it: M.
(I originally put it on the context menu, but Kovid buried it put it where it is now.) I quickly added "M" and "ALT-M" and now use those exclusively.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Since I wrote it to solve a specific problem I was having, I'll answer.

If you're adding a few books, either drag them into the edit metadata screen for an existing book, or just drag them into the main GUI, tell Calibre to add any duplicate titles it finds and Merge together the duplicate titles you want merged (or don't merge if that's your preference). That's why I wrote Merge.

The option you're asking about (referred to by me as the "autosort/automerge" option due to the long name that's next to that option box <grin>) was designed for when you're adding lots of books, not just a few. In that case, you don't want to have to Merge manually, so you turn the option on.

Similarly, if you're adding lots of books, you don't want to have to answer "a dialogue box that gives us a choice of whether to merge into one entry or keep in separate entries" dozens of times. Turning on the option is the global answer to that question, and turning it off and Merging (or not) is not much more work for just a few books.
Aha. But since you already have a dialogue popping up (if the automerge is turned off), would it be hard to add one more choice: Import both, but don't merge? Right now, it's a tad confusing, because it either merges or does something that you can't quite predict based on the dialogue box choices.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
(I originally put it on the context menu, but Kovid buried it put it where it is now.) I quickly added "M" and "ALT-M" and now use those exclusively.
Whoa! That's dangerous. I just selected a couple of books and pressed M to see what kind of dialogue would come up. <Bing> One of the books vanished. Given how easy it is to hit a key by accident (even if you know to expect that behavior), I'd sure like to see a confirmation dialogue on that. Or a way to disable the keystroke option. Or undo.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Aha. But since you already have a dialogue popping up (if the automerge is turned off), would it be hard to add one more choice: Import both, but don't merge?
I'm confused
If automerge is off, you get a notice only when duplicate titles have been found. The notice comes up regardless of whether the authors match or not. If you allow duplicate titles, you get duplicates, again, regardless of whether the authors match or not. I'm not sure what you mean by "Import both, but don't merge" when automerge is off?

Quote:
Right now, it's a tad confusing, because it either merges or does something that you can't quite predict based on the dialogue box choices.
It never merges anything if the autosort/automerge option is off. You get records with titles that match other titles (regardless of author) or not, depending on whether you say yes or no to the warning dialog.