Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
USB Charging (PRS500 model)

I'm trying to charge my reader via USB on Windows Server 2003. Sony's fabulous Connect Software won't run on anything but XP (or I suppose Vista) and I can't install it.

I have my Reader plugged in, all I want to do is have it charge while I'm working. The amber charge light doesn't come on at all.

I can't remember if the charge light comes on when I'm charging USB or if it's not actually charging. It does have the screen on saying "USB Connected", but no battery meter or anything.

Anyone know offhand?

Thanks
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
The battery won't charge if the Connect software isn't installed on your computer. It will show "USB connected", but it won't charge. Had the same problem when I was on holiday and thought to charge my Reader through USB on the laptop from my girlfriend.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic
I can't remember if the charge light comes on when I'm charging USB or if it's not actually charging. It does have the screen on saying "USB Connected", but no battery meter or anything.

Anyone know offhand?

Thanks
The charge light does show if it's charging via USB or not. As others have said, on a PC at least, it'll only charge via USB if you have the "Connect" software installed. Rather oddly, some have reported that the Reader does charge on a Mac without the software. Some difference between the USB ports of Macs and PCs, perhaps?

If it's any help, the PSP charger works fine on the Reader. You can pick these up very cheaply.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
This is probably a driver issue which makes me believe that the reader indeed implements proper USB charging. Keep in mind that you cannot simply draw power from USB. The power is part of the bus protocol.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
Keep in mind that you cannot simply draw power from USB. The power is part of the bus protocol.
That may be true in theory, but the world is full of devices which use USB purely as a power source. I have a USB-powered pencil sharpener .
Advert
Old 03-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Thanks for the help, it was indeed not charging. I *really* wish Sony's Connect software was a little better. It's not unfathomable that a developer like myself might want to install the software on Win Server 2003 - it's my daily work machine where I work.

Got home and charged off the wall to give it a good solid charge and I'm back to reading today Thanks for the tip!

(HarryT - it was a matter of just being stuck at work with a dead Reader, I use my PSP charger at home for regular charging, I think my Reader charger's still in the original box, hehe).
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic
... I think my Reader charger's still in the original box, hehe).
Well if you're not using it at home, you could take it to work.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Have you thought of installing VirtualPC on WinServer 2003, putting XP under that, and then installing CONNECT in XP?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hmmm. That brings the phrase "Rube Goldberg" to mind, for some reason.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hmmm. That brings the phrase "Rube Goldberg" to mind, for some reason.
Rube always took a too direct approach for my tastes, I like a more indirect kind of event.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:08 AM   #11
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I have seen some devices which plug into a car's cigarette lighter and provide power to a USB cable for charging devices capable of being charged via USB port.

Has anybody tried this sort of thing to see if the Sony Reader will charge with such a device? Naturally there isn't any PC involved, so the Connect software won't be present.

I'm wondering if purchasing such a thing would be worthwhile, or if it might be better to by a power inverter and just use the AC adapter to charge the Reader while in the car.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
I have seen some devices which plug into a car's cigarette lighter and provide power to a USB cable for charging devices capable of being charged via USB port.

Has anybody tried this sort of thing to see if the Sony Reader will charge with such a device? Naturally there isn't any PC involved, so the Connect software won't be present.

I'm wondering if purchasing such a thing would be worthwhile, or if it might be better to by a power inverter and just use the AC adapter to charge the Reader while in the car.
No, car USB chargers won't work with the Reader. What will work, though, is the car charger for the Playstation Portable (PSP); the PSP uses the same charger as the Reader (5.2V DC) and PSP chargers, car adapters, etc, work fine on the Reader. To be honest, though, you need charge the Reader so infrequently (I charge mine once every couple of weeks, and read about an hour a day) that it's something of a non-issue.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #13
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I could swear I could get this thing to charge over usb when I bought it, but now it doesn't do anything unless I use the wall charger. When connect software is started, the charging led is red-- does that mean it is charging and connected or just connected? Otherwise, if the connect software is shut down, no light.

Did something change in the firmware or when switching to Vista?
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo
I could swear I could get this thing to charge over usb when I bought it, but now it doesn't do anything unless I use the wall charger. When connect software is started, the charging led is red-- does that mean it is charging and connected or just connected? Otherwise, if the connect software is shut down, no light.

Did something change in the firmware or when switching to Vista?
When the light above the power switch is on, it's charging. If there's no light, it's not charging. It certainly SHOULD charge over USB but, as you've read here, the firmware update seems to have seriously messed up USB charging in particular. Hopefully it'll be fixed at the next update.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer

I also have an iGo "Juice" charger that takes power from the line, the car, or a plane seat outlet. While originally designed for laptops and cell phones, there is a tip that works for the Reader, the A54.