Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Odd issue in the way Calibre handles duplicates added to library

SCENARIO:
Add a bunch of books; let's see both a .MOBI and an .EPUB of the SAME book are in the files to be added

CALIBRE BEHAVIOR:
Calibre will present both books as a duplicate, even though in fact only one is a duplicate.

If one is adding many books, this can be hard to see. Unfortunately, when Calibre presents the list of duplicates, it's not in alpha order. So one could easily uncheck both "duplicates" and the book wouldn't be added at all!

RECOMMENDATION:
First, I think the it would be more user friendly if Calibre sorted duplicate list in alpha order.

But second, Calibre should identify the putative duplicate as coming from the CURRENT import, not something that is in fact already in the library!
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO Calibre is warning you that a title EXISTS (and you might be doing something unwanted).
FWIW I get this with an Empty book.

Preferences Adding Books: Adding Actions has a Auto-merge setting where you say what to do if: xyz

I paste the Log into Notepad, then I can scroll and resolve issues.
Use an Intake Library (not a VL): The use the Find Library Duplicates (target Library set)
I also can LOOK at the target using the Content server while the Intake is Active (does help if you have Muilt-monitors ar a second internet browsing device)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are adding a book to your library, you may have forgotten that you already did so. Also, there is the Find Duplicates plugin that can find duplicates or possible duplicates based on the name/author.

In your example of Mobi and ePub, you would be best to add one of them and then add the other to the same listing so you have only one listing for the same book in multiple formats.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use an Intake Library (not a VL): The use the Find Library Duplicates (target Library set)
I also can LOOK at the target using the Content server while the Intake is Active (does help if you have Muilt-monitors ar a second internet browsing device)

Except I use the calibre-spy plugin to access the target library.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are adding a book to your library, you may have forgotten that you already did so. Also, there is the Find Duplicates plugin that can find duplicates or possible duplicates based on the name/author.

In your example of Mobi and ePub, you would be best to add one of them and then add the other to the same listing so you have only one listing for the same book in multiple formats.
Problem is, if you're adding a lot of books and the Mobi comes up in one dupliate and the ePub comes up in a later listing of duplicates, you have to remember to add one of them! And that can be hard if you have a list of say 60 duplicates.
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert