Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 08:48 AM   #1
Rosales
Rosales began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa 2e
The mystery of the disappearing italics

When I send epubs from Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions to my Kobo ereaders, some of the italics do not show up on the device.

This is replicable on the Forma, Sage, and Elipsa 2e. The italics are present in the Calibre reader and when I open the book in Adobe DE, so it's definitely something going wrong during the syncing process.

This seems to be true for some epubs and not others, and, bafflingly, sometimes the book will be correctly italicized in some places and not others.

It isn't a font issue as I only use the publisher default or preinstalled fonts.

The only solution I have discovered is to sync the books from the Kobo Desktop software, as they retain their italics.

Is this a known issue with a known solution, or am I stuck syncing with Kobo Desktop rather than Calibre? (I really hope not.)
Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Been using Calibre and Kobo for 8 years and six models. No issue with italics. Now mostly using the Sage.

Note that "Publisher Default" only fully works if all the correct fonts are actually embedded. Calibre viewer might work with none embedded if they are on your computer, buut I'm not sure.

I only use USB and I've never ever used the Kobo Desktop.

Sources are PD (thousands), Amazon, Kobo, Smashwords, Google Playstore Books (Over 500) and our own content (multiple versions of about 50 books).

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 10:43 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #3
Rosales

Thank you for replying - it's helpful to know that the problem must be somewhere in my setup.

I have just realised that all the affected ebooks seem to be ones I bought from Kobo and downloaded via Adobe Digital Editions, which probably means something, though not all of those seem to have the issue.

I have tested the ebooks with several of the preinstalled fonts, but none of them solved the issue.
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosales View Post
When I send epubs from Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions to my Kobo ereaders, some of the italics do not show up on the device.

This is replicable on the Forma, Sage, and Elipsa 2e. The italics are present in the Calibre reader and when I open the book in Adobe DE, so it's definitely something going wrong during the syncing process.

This seems to be true for some epubs and not others, and, bafflingly, sometimes the book will be correctly italicized in some places and not others.

It isn't a font issue as I only use the publisher default or preinstalled fonts.

The only solution I have discovered is to sync the books from the Kobo Desktop software, as they retain their italics.

Is this a known issue with a known solution, or am I stuck syncing with Kobo Desktop rather than Calibre? (I really hope not.)
Maybe share the names of some of these books so folks could look at the preview versions from the Kobo store.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:03 PM   #5
Rosales

A few books that have the issue, all bought from Kobo:

The Gilda Stories, Jewelle Gomez
A Study in Drowning, Ava Reid
Shanghai Immortal, A. Y. Chao

Many other Kobo-bought epubs don't have the issue so I'm more puzzled the more I look into it.
Advert
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have to say I've never seen this issue either, with epubs or kepubs. I use a sideloaded font and sideload all my books from Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The problem could be that whatever font is being used with Publisher Default and/or your side loaded fonts don't have an italics version or something is wrong with the font family.

Next time you have this italic problem, change the font to Georgia. That's one of the fonts that come with the Kobo firmware and should work to show you italics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #8
Rosales

I realised it might be easier to discuss with some visual examples, so I took a few screenshots/photos, using 'The Gilda Stories' by Jewelle Gomez as an example.

In order: Calibre reader with the book open; Calibre ebook editor; Kobo Elipsa with the book open (Georgia font).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Reader.png
Views:	5
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	209465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre edit window.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	209466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Elipsa.png
Views:	8
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	209467  
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
A few books that have the issue, all bought from Kobo:

The Gilda Stories, Jewelle Gomez
A Study in Drowning, Ava Reid
Shanghai Immortal, A. Y. Chao

Many other Kobo-bought epubs don't have the issue so I'm more puzzled the more I look into it.
Kobo don't make the epubs. Likely there is something stupid the publisher did.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Kobo don't make the epubs. Likely there is something stupid the publisher did.
We won't know this until the OP tries Georgia as it's a known working font. I'm thinking it could be a font issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:38 PM   #11
Rosales

I have tried Georgia, along with all the other preloaded fonts just to make sure. There's a photo of what the book looks like on my Kobo in Georgia font attached to post 8.

Other failed attempts to solve the problem:

Importing the ebooks to Calibre using Obok DeDRM rather than importing them from Adobe DE;
Converting the books to kepub (as the books loaded directly from the Kobo software are correctly italicized);
Sending the books from Calibre with Calibre set to ignore third party plugins.