Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
solost
solost began at the beginning.

Device: E-Reader
Textbook reader. Searching, quick page change?

Hi. I am starting the next college semester soon and am considering buying an e-reader for the textbooks that I already have. I was specifically looking at only e-ink devices and saw some videos, but page turning seems kind of laggy.

I will usually read entire chapters and then skim from page to page looking for the information I need when doing assignments. I am used to doing this very quickly so I would be looking for a device that can change pages quickly. I use the search feature a lot when reading ebooks on my pc, so one on a reader would be cool. Is this available?

I do not highlight or take notes so a stylus or a touchscreen isn't a must have.

I would prefer a device that has Wi-Fi just for the transfer of ebooks and such. I saw web browsing on an e-ink device and it didn't seem too good.

Mobile format isn't too important. I have no problem converting books, but most of my books right now are pdf.

Do you guys think there are any e-ink readers that could satisfy my needs? Or should I look at tablets instead? Although I probably wouldn't buy a tablet anyway. They're cool, but I would just buy a netbook or a laptop then for other uses apart from reading.
solost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
If you go eink you need a big device with a 9,7" screen, as there are Onyx M91/92, Pocketbook 902 or Kindle DXG. But as you've already mentioned it can take some time to turn pages. You must find a balance between fast page turning (and live with a ghosting effect) or slower page turning (and no ghosting effect).

It might be an idea to investigate into convertible laptops like this one:
http://www.amazon.de/Fujitsu-Lifeboo...466550&sr=1-81
I'm afraid this will be out of your financial budget, but maybe you have the possibility to get a used one at a reasonable price. They are very useful for students.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is an area in which eInk devices just aren't very good due to their slow refresh rates. Yes, they do have search, but the fast response of an LCD screen is a definite winner here. A tablet or, as you say, a laptop, would probably be the best solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is an area in which eInk devices just aren't very good due to their slow refresh rates. Yes, they do have search, but the fast response of an LCD screen is a definite winner here. A tablet or, as you say, a laptop, would probably be the best solution.
I second this. I was going to get an e-reader for academic use but realised that they're just not the right device. Slow, like Harry said, and reflowing pdfs is generally a pain IME, and on many e-readers you can't even see page numbers. I ended up getting an iPad and would definitely recommend that you get some kind of tablet.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
Do you guys think there are any e-ink readers that could satisfy my needs? Or should I look at tablets instead? Although I probably wouldn't buy a tablet anyway. They're cool, but I would just buy a netbook or a laptop then for other uses apart from reading.
For reference material, tablets with LCD are better. Personally, I'm waiting for an x86 (with Llano, Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge) version of the ASUS Transformer Prime. The Samsung Series 7 looks great but the combination of the Transformer Prime + Dock appears to be more laptop-like.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Go for iPad or Asus Transformer (+prime). If you want open system (but not-so-great hardware); get android. If you want robust hardware (but pain-in-the-ass file system), get an iPad.

Looking for large screen e-ink device? You can get Onyx Boox M92 or Pocketbook 912/902 or Kindle DX (hack Kindle DX with duokan firmware)

Last edited by Nexutix; 12-21-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
solost
solost began at the beginning.

Device: E-Reader
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. The Asus Transformer seems really cool but out of my budget. Maybe I'll look at the old netbooks and see how much used ones go for. I remember buying the high end Acer Aspire One for $300 a few years ago. I didn't like how the screen was so small, but I saw that there are 10" versions now. I'll look around...
solost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I do lots of academic reading and annotating - and I have tried multiple options, both e-ink and LCD.

I still think the best option is an iPad. If you are on a budget - look for a first-gen, 16gb, wifi only - possibly even second-hand.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
E-readers are really designed for reading a book that is all free-flowing text, from page one to the end. The farther you get away from that model, the less suitable 7" e-readers are. You mention a couple of flies in this ointment: (1) a library of PDF's (page images rather than free-flowing text); and (2) college textbooks (charts, illustrations, multiple columns, flipping back and forth while studying). For college, you'll also probably be reading multiple books simultaneously; while e-readers are good at keeping your place in each book, it can seem so tiresome going back through the menu each time you want to swap to a new book several times a day.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote