Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 03:17 AM   #1
Graham44
Graham44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite signature edition
Changing device on already downloaded Kindle books

Hello everyone,

This is my first post as I only discovered Calibre a few weeks a go.

The problem I face is that I spent days (or nearly a week) downloading and editing all of the metadata for my Kindle books. When I downloaded them from Amazon to an external hard drive Amazon asked me what device I was downloading them for - I chose Kindle Voyage as that was the kindle I was using at the time (and had been for many years)

As (bad) luck would have it that Kindle started to go wrong last week so I ordered a new Kindle (Paperwhite signature edition) last week. I have registered the device but I can not now load my books from Calibre to my paperwhite as it says they are DRM protected (they loaded to the voyage fine) Im guessing this is because I specified them as for my Voyage when downloading

Is there anyway I can auto change them to my new Paperwhite (if that makes sense?) or am I stuck downloading them all again and inputting all the extra metadata again?

I understand this is a problem caused by Amazon DRM not Calibre, but Im hoping there is a solution!
Graham44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:21 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You'll need to remove the DRM. For this
you must install the deDRM plugin from here:
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...es/tag/v10.0.9
and customize it with the serial number of your Voyage.

Unfortunately the DRM is removed on import, so you'll need to remove the files from Calibre and import them again after the plugin has been installed. You can keep your metadata - just save the files outside Calibre using the Save to Disk feature (never do anything directly in the library folder - that will mess up the database), remove the formats from book entries (this leaves the metadata intact) and add the previously saved files again to the relevant book entries.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 04:24 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 06:39 AM   #3
Graham44
Graham44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You'll need to remove the DRM. For this
you must install the deDRM plugin from here:
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...es/tag/v10.0.9
and customize it with the serial number of your Voyage.

Unfortunately the DRM is removed on import, so you'll need to remove the files from Calibre and import them again after the plugin has been installed. You can keep your metadata - just save the files outside Calibre using the Save to Disk feature (never do anything directly in the library folder - that will mess up the database), remove the formats from book entries (this leaves the metadata intact) and add the previously saved files again to the relevant book entries.
Thanks for the reply Sirtel, I do have deDRM installed but I installed it after importing my books, so I will do as you say.
Could you just walk me through it a bit, Im a new user to both Linux and Calibre so its not second nature yet!
I have my book files in a folder called Calibre on an external drive - if I create a file on my desktop called something else (say temp books) I then go into Calibre use the save to Disk feature (does this bulk save all books or do you have to do them individually?) to save my books to this new folder
How do I then remove the format from book entries? and what do you mean add the previously saved files again to to relevant book entries? I understand you mean the books Ive saved outside of Calibre but is saving them to the relevant book entries just adding them back into Calibre using the add books button?
Sorry for the stupid questions
Graham44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes, you can do Save to Disk in bulk - just select all the books.

Removing formats - again, select all your books, right-click (or its Linux equivalent - I use Windows) on the Remove icon and choose Remove all formats from selected books.

Adding the files back to their respective book entries - this can be done in several ways.
1. Dragging/dropping the file to the Book Details window, or
2. Going into Edit Metadata and adding the file to the formats box.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote